Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How/Where to learn about British visor service caps?

Article about: OCAD, Based on the posted photo of my RCAF cap with the Queen's Crown, would you date this as a Post-War hat or later? It has side buttons made of black textured plastic , not cloth covered.

Question How/Where to learn about British visor service caps?

How or where would a beginner learn about ww2 British Army and RAF visor service caps?? I think they would look very good displayed beside a few Luftwaffe/Heer/USAAF visors, but there are numerous books about the german visors to learn what to look for. Any similar resources for the Brits? Thanks, Bill

Default Re: How/Where to learn about British visor service caps?

Hi Bill, sadly there is no real detailed references on these caps that I am aware of?

Officers caps were all private purchase. They will usally display a makers or retailers name in the crown, usually printed or in the form of a label. Caps made early post war up until 1953 will be, for all intents and purposes, the same as wartime examples. Post 1953 the new "Queens Crown" style badges were introduced when our Queen came to the Throne. Always check for any tampering of the badges, as again a 1953 cap can soon be made "wartime" with a new badge in place. Out and out newly made fakes are not a huge problem like with German or Soviet caps. The exception to this are female ATS caps. These are faked to provide caps for the re-enactor market and could fool the unwary.

Cheers, Ade.

thanks

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Bill, sadly there is no real detailed references on these caps that I am aware of?

Officers caps were all private purchase. They will usally display a makers or retailers name in the crown, usually printed or in the form of a label. Caps made early post war up until 1953 will be, for all intents and purposes, the same as wartime examples. Post 1953 the new "Queens Crown" style badges were introduced when our Queen came to the Throne. Always check for any tampering of the badges, as again a 1953 cap can soon be made "wartime" with a new badge in place. Out and out newly made fakes are not a huge problem like with German or Soviet caps. The exception to this are female ATS caps. These are faked to provide caps for the re-enactor market and could fool the unwary.

Cheers, Ade.
    Would anyone happen to have any photos to show the difference in the Kings vs Queens crown badges?? Thanks, Bill

Hi Bill, please see here: The crowns are just the same shape on cap badges. See illustrations R59 and R44

Crown & Cyphers on British Uniform Buttons

Cheers, Ade.

Once again, Thanks Ade!!!

?

I have a few details on this, take a look at my website.

Quote by Ocad View Post
    I have a few details on this, take a look at my website.
    I just now discovered your post, but.......THANK YOU!!!!!!! GREAT Site!!!! Nicely done

?

From my RCAF collection, here's an example of a Queen's Crown cap badge on an Officer's Service Cap.

?

Quote by curio bill View Post
    I just now discovered your post, but.......THANK YOU!!!!!!! GREAT Site!!!! Nicely done

Thanks, I am glad you found it interesting.

Also to compare, Here is the WWII RAF Officer's service peak cap with Kings Crown.

How/Where to learn about British visor service caps?
    Last edited by Ocad; 10-14-2011 at 04:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast