Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

info on these two US forage caps

Article about: Hi Folks, I'm after as much information as possible please on these two forage caps I know the one is USMC and I guess the other one is Infantry but that's all I know so could someone fill i

Default info on these two US forage caps

Hi Folks,
    I'm after as much information as possible please on these two forage caps I know the one is USMC and I guess the other one is Infantry but that's all I know so could someone fill in the blank spaces for me please, ie: date, type, rarity, Other Ranks or Officers, if the one is infantry is there anyway of telling what regiment it is, basically as much info as possible.
    Cheers.
    Kev.

info on these two US forage capsinfo on these two US forage caps

Any shots of the interiors? Are they with bamboo lined stiffeners?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Yes, sorry. The blue infantry cap has bamboo behind the headband.

info on these two US forage capsinfo on these two US forage caps
    Last edited by keflin2612; 03-30-2014 at 07:42 PM.

Hello Kev, The khaki Marine Corp cap is a summer cap from the WWI time era. They first came out sometime around 1912. It is an enlisted man's cap, as the officer's had embroidery on the visors. They were worn until around 1922 when they changed the form abit to make the tops more larger and slanted as you see them similar today. The Infantry hat is of the same time era or even somewhat earlier, as the crossed muskets were used from 1875-1896. Personally, I do not trust the blue Infantry hat, though, as it does not look to be totally genuine. The visor and strap on it look quite modern in condition, which hardly makes sense for a 100-120 year old piece of leather on a hat. Either way, these caps are not enormously valuable-being, perhaps, more scarce than costly. A few hundred dollars, generally.
    William

Thanks for all the info William, I believe the Khaki cover on the cap is removable. Both caps have come from 'The Robby Wilson Collection' in the United States, the Khaki cap was listed as a M-1904.
    Cheers.
    Kev.

Not all of the Wilson collection were good pieces, keep in mind- there were plenty of sinkers in it also. And, yes, the khaki should be removable, but at the age it is, I would not suggest trying it. As mentioned, the blue Infantry leather just does not look believable for being over a century old. Just an odd question, but since you bought them from the Wilson auction, why then did you post them asking for any and all info on them? People go to considerable lengths looking up reference materials and records to give you information that you already have and knew?
    William

Hi William, I never went onto the Wilson auction to buy these two caps, I'm a dealer and I went onto the auction for four ww1 british caps but they went for absolutely silly money and to be honest I bought these two items as a last minute panic buy along with two other item, the two other items I know a lot about but these two I know nothing about. Sounds like a really stupid thing to do "and it was".
    Cheers.
    Kev.