Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast

Lets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!!

Article about: Hi, This thread is in conjuction and in support of the excellent thread covering Service Dress caps started by Nigel. Please feel free to view, show and chat about British Army Officer's Dre

Quote by Anon View Post
    Got this odd one yesterday, perhaps Michael or Oli or Bob or someone else has an opinion.

It in many ways matches a British army senior officers cap, with a single row of leaves on the peak and the correct colour conbination of the band and welts.

It has a bandmans badge on it, which has been there a long time, maker marked to The Uniform And Equipment Company, 10-11 Clerkenwell Green, whose premises there were destroyed in a fire in 1913 and were later rebuilt on the same site. Later again they became Uniquip until they closed in the 1990's.

Apart from the badge, the oakleaves are in metal, not something I have seen before, it has the stiff top typical of early caps and plain small ball buttons.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Is it a bands mans cap, or is it an early senior officers cap rebadged and reused by a bands man?
    An update, perhaps of relevance in light of some of the comments about the unusual nature of the metal peak insignia, this naval example is currently for sale and sports the same feature. It does not prove anything other than perhaps metal insignia was used on armed forces cap peaks.
    Attached Images Attached Images Lets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!!  Lets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!! 
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

I must confess that I'm not convinced about the authenticity of this cap. Perhaps it's the photos, but the insignia looks huge, and I have never seen metal braid on the peak like this. Despite the King's crown, the cap does not look 60+ years old.
    I will not presume to be correct in my opinion, but I would not have this cap in my collection.
    Some interior shots may be helpful.

BobS

All you say is true Bob, it certainly is not a convincing period item, though it was posted merely to show that it existed. There is another cap with metal peak braid shown in one of the links that Oli posted for sale as a Victorian army bandmasters cap, identical except for a blue band rather than red. I am merely trying to add information to the subject, because even with Oli's book there is still not much out there and it is only we as collectors who can perhaps change that.
    Attached Images Attached Images Lets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!! 
    Regards,

Jerry

?

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole! Its certainly not WW2 as the peak, rim and chinstrap are vinyl/plastic. Furthermore I cant see how R/N regs could be so relaxed either with outfitters flare. The badge and white cover look ok though. I have never seen such metal peak detail and besides they are the wrong shape for R/N.

I would suggest this as being a put together piece either for Goodwood or reinactors, or perhaps a merchant navy piece? but eitherway I don't like it.

?

Hard to tell if the badge is in good condition or a good modern example from the photos but the size looks ok to me, I think it has not been sewn on properly and the black backing is too wide.

Some new additions to my collection.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!!   Lets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!!  

Lets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!!   Lets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!!  

Regards,

Jerry

Here is two i used to have
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!!   Lets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!!  

Lets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!!   Lets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!!  

And another one

Two more from me.

Regards,

Jerry

And another I have and another in the post to me.

First is for the Welch regiment circa 1960's

and the other is for a Brigadier substantive/Colonel, with red crown piping and Royal West Kent kings crown buttons so perhaps he was RWK's pre 53 and then upgraded his badge with the post 52 Queens crown version. Still waiting for this one to arrive.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast