Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

Lets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!!

Article about: Hi, This thread is in conjuction and in support of the excellent thread covering Service Dress caps started by Nigel. Please feel free to view, show and chat about British Army Officer's Dre

I forgot I also have this post 53 REME field officer forage cap in the post, due to arrive tomorrow. Condition on this one looks superb and the price was too good to not buy it. Sellers pics for now, which are very good.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!!  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi Jerry, A fairly common cap but by a superb manufacturer. Like you say, superb condition too. Johnson is one of my favourite cap manufacturers along with Bates. Both seem to have perfected the "saddle" style and have attained the highest quality. Congratulations on a fine aquisition. I look forward to see and showing more!!
    Regards, happy hunting and best wishes Michael!!

Quote by Michael Ryan View Post
    Hi Jerry, A fairly common cap but by a superb manufacturer. Like you say, superb condition too. Johnson is one of my favourite cap manufacturers along with Bates. Both seem to have perfected the "saddle" style and have attained the highest quality. Congratulations on a fine aquisition. I look forward to see and showing more!!
    Regards, happy hunting and best wishes Michael!!

Thanks Michael, I have become somewhat addicted to buying this type of headgear, I have added quite a few to my collection recently.

I missed one out, an uncommon to see OR's example circa 1930's or 40's in date.

And the senior officers example I posted two posts back arrived today.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Quote by BobS View Post
    Attachment 608924Attachment 608920Attachment 608921Attachment 608922Attachment 608923Some more caps, if I may; 4th/7th Dragoon Guards junior officer pre-1962, Queen's Dragoon Guards, 13th/18th Hussars, Royal Dragoons, and 11th Hussars, again, pre 1962 jr. officer. Sorry for my poor photos. 11th Hussars at top.

BobS
    Hi Bob,

I was just looking back over this thread and admiring your Cavalry caps. Is the 4/7 dgs cap badge solid silver or the white metal type? Also I was just wondering, how can you date those 2 caps to pre 1962?

best,
    Oli

?

The 4th/7th DG badge is silver, whether plated or solid, I don't know. I have not removed it from the cap. I had an other ranks 4th/7th DG cap, and the badge was white metal, and lower quality, of course.
    To my knowledge, post 1962, ALL cavalry officer dress caps had the peak edge braid attached, which was previously only for majors & lieut.colonels.
    If I recall, it is mentioned in the history of the 4th/7th Dragoon Guards that I have, in the uniform section of the book. I have not seen this mentioned in any of my many uniform reference books.

BobS

?

Thanks Bob. I thought it looked silver but hard to tell from a photo. It seems to me that Silver was more preferred but white metal was also used for Officers. That is very interesting about the peak detail, I will look into the book. Is that the one titled, "The First the Last"?

Oli

?

Quote by Ocad View Post
    Thanks Bob. I thought it looked silver but hard to tell from a photo. It seems to me that Silver was more preferred but white metal was also used for Officers. That is very interesting about the peak detail, I will look into the book. Is that the one titled, "The First the Last"?

Oli
    No, the book is " A History of the 4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards' by J.M. Brereton, published by the regiment in 1982. There is a full page color uniform print of a modern day officer in full dress 1962, and the caption states "The gold braiding on the cap peak was introduced for all officers in that year."

BobS

?

Officers 10th Hussars tent cap ( missing its badge ) a good example pre 1952 top picture is the front , then badge side , the other side and rear .

Last edited by ASR142; 11-22-2014 at 05:05 PM.

?

Quote by ASR142 View Post
    Officers 11th Hussars tent cap ( missing its badge ) a good example pre 1952 top picture is the front , then badge side , the other side and rear .

I believe the tent hat was actually worn by the 8th Hussars, not the 11th. There was no badge worn on the hat.

BobS

?

SORRY CHAPS TYPO on my part I was in a hurry !!
    should have been 10th hussars prince of wales plum with scroll ( ICH FEATHERS AND CROWN DIEN ) KING AND KING NUMBER VOL 2 no 1929 !! ( page 17 & 18 )
    You can see on the cap to the front side just visible the 2 holes for the badge and its ghost marks see the arrows in the pics below and a pic from inside the cap
    cheers steve

Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast