Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Lets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!!

Article about: Hi, This thread is in conjuction and in support of the excellent thread covering Service Dress caps started by Nigel. Please feel free to view, show and chat about British Army Officer's Dre

Quote by Tango View Post
    Jerry here is a beret I have in my collection.. the photos is a bit old & not the best angle.. Cheers Terry Attachment 1212499
    Good to see it, here is the one I have, 1970s.
    Attached Images Attached Images Lets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!!  Lets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!! 
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

My beret was issued around 2005... so I will take some more snaps when I get home & there should be some difference's.. Cheers Terry.

I'm offering up this cap here in the hope that someone can identify its origins. I bought this with an other ranks' RA dress uniform - the owner was probably just using it for display. It arrived with a Norfolk Yeomanry badge on the front and a single gilt button attached, containing just a sphinx over Egypt.

My knowledge of dress uniform buttons is very limited so can anyone name the original unit from just this button? It seems originally sewn, very tightly embedded in the hat material. The Norfolk badge had a slider and was wedged into the front seam, but there are also two holes in the cap front from what I assume was from the original badge.

The inner lining is loose at the front and, when I peeked underneath, I noticed there was an old newspaper placed between it and the top of the cap. A few pieces of the paper were torn and loose - on them was printed a county cricket score. From the names of the batsmen (Woodhead, Heane, Nichols, Smith), and cross referencing their careers, I managed to make an educated guess that the hat was made in 1933! I felt quite pleased with myself after that.

Any further help about the unit would be appreciated. I'd really like to be able to replace the original front badge, missing gilt button and chin strap.

Matthew

Lets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!!Lets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!!Lets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!!Lets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!!

?

Cap is for a major or lt. colonel of a line, non-royal infantry regiment. Construction seems to indicate it was made in the 30's or 40's.
    Now, the list of possible regiments would include those that likely have the Sphinx in their badge.
    They would include the Lincolns, Lancashire Fusiliers, South Wales Borderers, Glosters ( must have back badge also ), East Lancashire, Dorsets, South Lancs.,Essex, Northamptons, Manchester, York & Lancs, and, almost forgot, South Staffordshire.
    None of my many uniform reference sources goes into any detail on visor cap side buttons, sadly.
    Good luck with your search. It's a nice looking cap.

BobS

The books I have do not list officer buttons, only or's, though from those caps I have, it is not Glosters, nor SW Borderers or Dorsets or South Staffs
    Regards,

Jerry

Thank you both for the quick and helpful replies. My own reference materials have next to nothing on officers' cap buttons, so I'm comforted a little knowing that I'm not the only one! I had found online a single example of a SWB dress button, with just the sphinx. But, from Jerry's expert Welsh view, it's not the Borderers.

So that leaves the Lincolns, Lancashire Fusiliers, East Lancashire, South Lancs., Essex, Northamptons, Manchester, York & Lancs. by the looks of it. I'll keep digging and if anyone else has opinions please do let me know.

If I can't find a definitive answer I might just try and fix it up to one of those possible regiments. I have relatives who served in the East Lancs., so maybe that would make a fitting choice. Now how on earth do I find a matching button? I wonder if it's possible to 3D print a second one and paint it gilt?

Matthew

It is a difficult subject, officer buttons, the brit badge forum has a button section and I am sure the answer would be found there.
    Regards,

Jerry

Hi

First, a classical QARANC (female type)

British Army Women QARANC NURSE No1 Dress Hat

and

British Army: The Queen's royal Hussars N°1 Dress Hat (officer)

Herbert Johnson made....I tried to get some caps from Golding's too.
    Last edited by monfort1; 07-23-2018 at 12:34 PM.

Hi

Another one but uncertain for me

What would be this cap for ?

Lancastrian Brigade?

The Queen’s Lancashire Regt ?

I know that the badge is identical for both units, but the cap itself?

Thank you in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!!  

?

I would be confident to say the Lancastrian Brigade. For two reasons.
    First look at the scroll detail of the cap badge, compared to the later QLR badge, and second the cap construction style/materials look more 1960s than 1970s. Similarly the Worcestershire Regiment wore the Mercian Brigade badge on caps from 1958 to 1969. See the Worcestershire Militaria Museum website for some near identical caps (scroll down to the bottom of the page).

WORCESTERSHIRE ​MILITARIA MUSEUM - The Worcestershire Regiment.

Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast