Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Lets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!!

Article about: Hi, This thread is in conjuction and in support of the excellent thread covering Service Dress caps started by Nigel. Please feel free to view, show and chat about British Army Officer's Dre

?

Nice cap indeed but I personally do not think it is military. I an leaning towards a civilian Bandmaster. The maker seems consistant with all the other examples I have seen. Worthy of more research.

Similar to caps worn by the Royal Legion or Salvation Army...

Thanks for offering your informed opinion Oli. I expect you are probably correct, though perhaps some other information will surface one day.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Default 3rd Caraabiniers Officer's Dress Cap

I just picked up this cap on Ebay, sans cap badge, but i was fortunate in that I already had an officer's version.
    The regiment is of course, the 3rd Carabiniers, and it is named on the sweatband to " Ley", who, according to the regimental history, was in temporary command of the regiment in Burma, 1944. He is listed as a lieutenant in the 1938 Army List, and as a major in the 1952 version.
    The cap was made, as usual, by Herbert Johnson.

BobSLets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!!Lets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!!Lets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!!Lets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!!Lets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!!

Hi Anon, I think that you are showing a nice and somewhat unusual cap. I am drawn to the same conclusion as Ocad, and would suggest the following:

1. The visor, visor embelishment and liner all appear contemporary. Ergo the metal oak leaf embelishment has not been "suck on" but was attached as part of the initial construction. Personnaly, I have never seen a senior British officer's cap visor of this type.

2. The cap band and crown colours are correct however the red welts are missing from the band.

3. To the best of my knowledge, senior officers never wore plain gold buttons.

4. Dress regegulations stated catagorically that the chin strap will be of black leather. Yours, is attached inside out and appears to be both of a fibre materiel and of OR pattern. Ergo, two small black metal sliders rather than black leather.

5. The cap inards are not of a quality that would be expected of a cap relative to a senior officer rank.

My honest opinion is that this is a privately made cap of senior officer pattern made for wear by a civilian or possibly cadet band master. None-the-less, a nice cap but not military. I hope these comments are of interest. Should you learn anything to the contrary, I and probably other members of the Forum, would be very interested to hear from you. I would rather be proved incorrect than soldier on in ignorance.
    Cheers and regards Michael R

Hi BobS, A nice cap by a fine manuafcturer. Congratulations on its aquisition and on having a badge to finish it off. Thank you for showing it
    Regards Michael R

?

Quote by Michael Ryan View Post
    Hi BobS, A nice cap by a fine manuafcturer. Congratulations on its aquisition and on having a badge to finish it off. Thank you for showing it
    Regards Michael R
    Thanks, Michael. I just lucked upon a mint officer's cap to this regiment's successor, the RSDG. I need to acquire a cap badge, then I can hopefully post some photos.

BobS

Quote by Michael Ryan View Post
    Hi Anon, I think that you are showing a nice and somewhat unusual cap. I am drawn to the same conclusion as Ocad, and would suggest the following:

1. The visor, visor embelishment and liner all appear contemporary. Ergo the metal oak leaf embelishment has not been "suck on" but was attached as part of the initial construction. Personnaly, I have never seen a senior British officer's cap visor of this type.

2. The cap band and crown colours are correct however the red welts are missing from the band.

3. To the best of my knowledge, senior officers never wore plain gold buttons.

4. Dress regegulations stated catagorically that the chin strap will be of black leather. Yours, is attached inside out and appears to be both of a fibre materiel and of OR pattern. Ergo, two small black metal sliders rather than black leather.

5. The cap inards are not of a quality that would be expected of a cap relative to a senior officer rank.

My honest opinion is that this is a privately made cap of senior officer pattern made for wear by a civilian or possibly cadet band master. None-the-less, a nice cap but not military. I hope these comments are of interest. Should you learn anything to the contrary, I and probably other members of the Forum, would be very interested to hear from you. I would rather be proved incorrect than soldier on in ignorance.
    Cheers and regards Michael R
    Hi Micheal, only just noticed your comments. I appreciate your input as I know you are up on this subject. I have already accepted that it is probably as senior civilian bandmasters cap. Not military but still a very nice cap and it still fits with my collecting interests.
    Regards,

Jerry

Hi Anon, It is anice cap and if you are happy and it fits in with your collection, what more can you ask!!! I am very pleased for you.
    Best wishes Michael R

?

Hi Anon,

Just found a dealer that has a badge like yours on his website. He states that it is from the Army School of Music, around 1902 and after. Although the badge is slightly different it may be worth exploring that avenue....

http://www.militariax.com/viewphoto....h=50232&phqu=2

Quote by Ocad View Post
    Hi Anon,

Just found a dealer that has a badge like yours on his website. He states that it is from the Army School of Music, around 1902 and after. Although the badge is slightly different it may be worth exploring that avenue....

http://www.militariax.com/viewphoto....h=50232&phqu=2
    Thanks for the input Oli. Interesting when combined with the link you posted to a very similar cap with a Victorian version of the badge from another dealers site. Pretty much the same cap and badge except for the QVC and the blue band.

Original Early Victorian Army Musicians Bandsman
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast