Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30

Lets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!!

Article about: Hi, This thread is in conjuction and in support of the excellent thread covering Service Dress caps started by Nigel. Please feel free to view, show and chat about British Army Officer's Dre

Default Gb army officer's sd cap id please

- - ------- - -

Lets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!!Lets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!!

Hi fellow cap people, I have not used this thread for a few years but still collect caps! Ergo, I would like to request that you take a shufti at the photos of a cap which I recently purchased on E Bay and was sold as a British Army Field Rank Dress Cap of the RAPC. When advertised, the cap was not buttoned or badged and was wearing a bottle green band. It has bright yellow crown piping but with standard dark blue band welts. Having checked out other similar caps, I am drawn to the conclusion that the band is probably a later addition possibly to aid sale? Unfortunately the inside of the cap has no manufacturer's markings or labels and no owner's details. There is evidence of the possible removal of a label however. There are no holes for a lugged officer style cap badge but the is slider hole to take a standard OR's cap badge. In all, it is a good quality post War manufactured military style cap with leather sweatband and nicely embroidered visor.

Can anyone ID this cap for me please?

With thanks, regards and best wishes to all Michael Ryan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lets see your British Army Dress/forage Caps and chat!!!  
    Last edited by Michael Ryan; 03-15-2024 at 05:36 PM.

Sorry, I appear to have cocked up the photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MR

It appears to be a Field Officer's cap, RAPC.
    (I queried the whether the cap band was blue or green and if it was detachable, the seller confirmed green and detachable. I have at least one such cap, didn't purchase despite the good price).

Sorry, said it's RAPC but of course it's lacking yellow piping to top and bottom of band - I queried with seller if the crown piping was white, a Royal Signals cap, he thought more yellow than white (I have such a cap to R. Sigs. already, so didn't purchase).

Hi Leigh, Thank you for your prompt response to my request for ID on this cap. The crown piping is definitely in a shade of light yellow whilst the band welts are both in the shade of blue/black as the cap body. The green band has been cut to length and hand stitched so, at least to me, that would imply that the band is an addition and not contemporary with the cap, however, I would be happy to be corrected. The current cap band materiel is in generally better condition than the cap crown etc which possibly indicates that this cap did have a removeable band at some stage??? My feeling is a black embroidered band but this is pure speculation. I have some WD Dress Regulations but have misplaced them so I'll go and have another hunt for them. If I come up with anything positive, I will let you know for future reference.

With thanks, regards and best wishes Mike R

PS, Are you a collector of caps etc?

Yes, I have some, British forage caps, service caps CFSCs and berets, mainly post WWII, some Yugoslavian military and civil defence, some WWII era German.

Hi again Leigh, I would be very interested in seeing any of your SD caps and German caps of any period if possible please?
    Cheers Mike R
    PS I have a large number of spare caps as I am a hoarder!! Any possibility of the odd trade?

?

Definitely not RAPC unless, of course yellow piping is hiding under the replaced band.
    Only other regiments with a blue body & yellow crown piping are 3rd Carbiniers, Duke of Lancaster's Yeomanry, and Sussex Yeo.
    These all also have a yellow band.

BobS

Hi Bob, Thank you for your input and information, it is greatly appreciated! Yes, agreed, it is not RAPC and no, the other welts are blue black. I feel certain however, that it has worn a band and yellow is the logical colour so all I need now is a conversion kit comprising band, buttons, chinstrap and cap badge. So here I go, off on the hunt for said items.

Cheers and thanks again

Mike R

?

You are welcome, Michael.
    I have a question for you and anyone else. A dealer has listed a rare, pre-WWI officer's cap for the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons; it has what looks like a correct officer's badge and also regimental side buttons.
    However, the band & piping are white, not primrose yellow as per regulations. I emailed the dealer and he insisted the white colour is correct.
    I know primrose is a pale yellow, but could it have totally faded to white over 110 years or so? I have my doubts
    Thanks.

BobS

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30