Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Looking for AIF slouch hat

Article about: Doug, try to ask around on this forum: Militarianz

?

So does the emblem on the side of the slouch hat have the 3rd Field Ambulance Btn. markings? (if so a close up would be great) I guess I am asking if there is a way to tell if a WW1/1915 Aussy hat has something that ties it to that battalion?
    The Crossroads of the West gunshow is up in Glendale this weekend and my buddy is going to it. I can ask him to be on the look out for something like this but will need a pic to send him

Semper Fi
    Phil

Rare as hens teeth...I live in Australia and i cant get one Doug, last decent one that i found was over 6k

?

Quote by wizardman View Post
    Rare as hens teeth...I live in Australia and i cant get one Doug, last decent one that i found was over 6k
    Oh come on!! You are talking to the guy with the Helmet hall of fame that we have all drooled over!
    SF
    Phil

AIF
    ?

Good luck with the search Doug they are as rare as gold plated diamond encrusted rocking horse shit these days and worth between 5 to 10K+ ...Not sure you will even be able to find a 1914 or 15 dated hat as that is quite an early date. The problem with finding slouch hats is most of the blokes wore them after they got home from the war working on the farm until they were completely stuffed so very few survived.

And don't keep us in suspense mate what is this 'artefact' you speak of?

AIF
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    So does the emblem on the side of the slouch hat have the 3rd Field Ambulance Btn. markings? (if so a close up would be great) I guess I am asking if there is a way to tell if a WW1/1915 Aussy hat has something that ties it to that battalion?
    The Crossroads of the West gunshow is up in Glendale this weekend and my buddy is going to it. I can ask him to be on the look out for something like this but will need a pic to send him

Semper Fi
    Phil
    No Phil everybody wore the standard Aussie rising sun badge on their hats (with exception to a few unofficial arty and LH units) You can date the hat by the manufacturers marks and year stamped on the liner but there was no difference in headgear between units and corps apart from the Light Horse units wore kangaroo feathers in the puggarees.

Luke.

?

Doug, I will keep an eye out for you at the Toronto Military show on Sat the 28th.

Dean O

?

Guys I know I've peaked your interest but I will post the item along with the valid research I hope as early as next week before I take off on yet another sojourn. The artifact is scheduled to arrive Monday morning according to FedEx. Suffice to say I haven't been this excited to acquire a piece with such relevant historical value in a long time.

Regarding the slouch hat, without trying to sound like a braggart I will pay whatever it takes to get the "right" one. It's an iconic piece of headgear to me and of course to you lads down under as well and iconic items along with Imperial officers pickelhauben is where my focus seems to be centered these days.

It will also be part of a display I have in mind for this artifact.

May I also ask, did the 3rd FA use a unique cap badge, reading your post AIF it is the standard rising sun badge correct? CEF (Canadian Expeditionary Forces WW1) units each had a unique cap badge much like the British Army.

Thanks to everyone for their assistance, brethren of the Commonwealth :-)

?

Doug, Some CEF CFA units had there own cap badges, however most used the standard Artillery badge, Many of the Numbered Artillery Capbadges were made at the end of the war, The 58th Battery CEF had there own capbadge as I have an original Canadian Gor-blimy (mint) that has that badge on it, and I know they went overseas with it.

Dean O

Ive been looking for a 1915 Slouchy for the last 10 years and haven't even seen one..My great uncle was Camel Corp and Light horse before dying in France with the AIF..
    Looking for AIF slouch hat

?

Quote by CampX View Post
    Doug, Some CEF CFA units had there own cap badges, however most used the standard Artillery badge, Many of the Numbered Artillery Capbadges were made at the end of the war, The 58th Battery CEF had there own capbadge as I have an original Canadian Gor-blimy (mint) that has that badge on it, and I know they went overseas with it.

Dean O
    That's true Dean! Love to see your Gor Blimey!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast