Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Looking for AIF slouch hat

Article about: Doug, try to ask around on this forum: Militarianz

?

Thank you for the kind offer but when buying something this specific for what I am looking for it must be of the Great War period preferably dated to 1915. When paying for something made from unobtanium one must be fussy as it takes a lot of loonies! (Loonies is a Canadian slang for dollars).

Quote by greimers View Post
    Hi Doug,

I have my family's !890's Australian Slouch Hat, being worn by the Victorian Rangers and Victorian Mounted Rifles, carried thru and worn during the Anglo-Boer War conflict of 1899-1901.

If you like , I can discuss this as being reserved for you in the future.
    A very generous offer of a very rare slouch hat. I remember seeing the pics in the slouch hat thread, a real beauty and very hard to find another like it I would think.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

I have a Name Canadian Boar War Slouch Hat, it really needs reshaped

DEan O

Quote by CampX View Post
    I have a Name Canadian Boar War Slouch Hat, it really needs reshaped

DEan O
    I think they can be reshaped by steaming and laying on a former.

Sounds like another great item in your extensive collection Dean. Perhaps you could show us some pics? One day I will add an early example to my collection, well actually I would like Boer war and Great war examples one day. Glamorgan Imperial Yeomanry for the Boer war would be a a stunner to pick up.
    Regards,

Jerry

True that! Any felt hat should be able to be reshaped with a form and steam. There used to be shops that did this as a service-it was called "Reblocking". A rapidly vanishing art these days, although I've done it by hand on several fedoras with a teapot on a stove top! lol
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Well I am not going to be keeping my Canadian Slouch, I bought it along with other items I wanted, but had to buy it also to close the deal for the items I wanted, sometimes you have to do that to get items you want.

I will dig it out and post photos a little later.

Dean O

Quote by CampX View Post
    Well I am not going to be keeping my Canadian Slouch, I bought it along with other items I wanted, but had to buy it also to close the deal for the items I wanted, sometimes you have to do that to get items you want.

I will dig it out and post photos a little later.

Dean O
    It would be great to see pics of it. I would be interested in adding it to my collection but I expect the price is beyond what her indoors would be happy with me paying for another old bl##dy hat.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Looking for AIF slouch hatLooking for AIF slouch hatLooking for AIF slouch hatLooking for AIF slouch hatLooking for AIF slouch hat

Well here it is, it looks like one side MAY have been stitched up long in the past, It need some TLC however the hat is strong, still has the original ribbon around it.
    Now there was NO ONE pattern for these used by Canadians, I have seen 3 different versions at the CWM, one looks like mine, however, the owner punched extra air holes in a nice pattern up the crown. It is really a Stetson, but many had one side turned up to allow one to shoulder a rifle. It is nice this one is named, however I have never done research on it

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

[QUOTE=CampX;1223658
    Well here it is, it looks like one side MAY have been stitched up long in the past, It need some TLC however the hat is strong, still has the original ribbon around it.
    Now there was NO ONE pattern for these used by Canadians, I have seen 3 different versions at the CWM, mine looks like mine, however, the owner pouched extra air holes in a nice pattern up the crown. It is really a Stetson, but many had one side turned up to allow one to shoulder a rifle. It is nice this one is named, however I have never done research on it

Dean O
    Ajax Canada[/QUOTE]

Looks similar to the Kiwi version, the lemon Squeezer type. It certainly is a salty example Dean, been there for sure. Interesting that he added extra ventilation holes to the dome on it. I don't remember seeing a Canadian example to the Boer war previously, not sure what they go for in any condition, never mind such a salty example.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Anon, I tried to message you, but could not.

Dean

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast