Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Malay Regiment Slouch Hat ( Singapore/Malaya )

Article about: Hi all.. want to know about those headgear wore by Malaya Regt's men during world war two at Malaya and Singapore during the early days of 1941 and 1942. Want to know the origin of the patte

Thumbs up Malay Regiment Slouch Hat ( Singapore/Malaya )

Hi all..

want to know about those headgear wore by Malaya Regt's men during world war two at Malaya and Singapore during the early days of 1941 and 1942. Want to know the origin of the pattern and can it be sourced ( purchase ) from sellers.

Based on the info, the slouch hat were from British slouch hat design or from gurkhas but different on the puggarees?..

The Malay Regiment used the same slouch hat into 1950s before disbanded the use and replace it with other headgear hat ( boonie hat or pillbox hat ) later during the Emergency. Pretty hard to find it here in Malaysia.

Thank you very much

Shaharom Ahmad
    Malaya Historical Group

Here is a 1941 dated British made example flashed to the Welsh Regiment, which would probably have been the same for the Malay Regiment except with a different badge, though sometimes there were variations in the pug band, in the number of folds or sometimes they have one fold of a different colour, though in the case of the Malay I could not tell you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Malay Regiment Slouch Hat ( Singapore/Malaya )   Malay Regiment Slouch Hat ( Singapore/Malaya )  

Malay Regiment Slouch Hat ( Singapore/Malaya )   Malay Regiment Slouch Hat ( Singapore/Malaya )  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

The Malay Regiment ordered a lot of Sangkok )Pillbox) hats pre war that were never delivered.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Malay Regiment Slouch Hat ( Singapore/Malaya )   Malay Regiment Slouch Hat ( Singapore/Malaya )  

Regards,

Jerry

Gurkha slouch hats (Hats Felt Gurkha) were and still are traditionally made by sewing two slouch hats together which can be seen by the double thickness of the edge.

Regards,

Jerry

Interesting info and photos guys...

thank you very much. Are these still can be purchased ( repro )?

Need it for our ww2 reenacting at Malaysia..

It seems that it is the same pattern hat with Gurkhas who worked here as a security hat. Let me take photo of the hat and share it here..

- - ------- - -

Are these can be purshased?

Jerry B..

those malay pillbox songkok hat. Are these hat can be purchased or available for sale?

Quote by cengitu View Post
    Jerry B..

those malay pillbox songkok hat. Are these hat can be purchased or available for sale?
    There were a few sold 20 years back, but they are harder to find now and have got expensive. I would sell you the example I posted if you want.
    Regards,

Jerry

Dear Jerry..

thank you very much.. Really appreciated it. How much that you want to sell it to me?

Please do email me at malayahg@gmail.com for the detail..

thanks Jerry..

Regards

Shaharom Ahmad

Showing a few other images of the Royal Malay Regiment pill box hat, two of one I saw for sale with its original box and my example as it came to me with the wrong badge on it and also an artists impression of one in wear, which by its nature is not a precise match for an actual cap.

Malay Regiment Slouch Hat ( Singapore/Malaya )   Malay Regiment Slouch Hat ( Singapore/Malaya )  

Regards,

Jerry

Great info and photos Jerry...

thank you very much

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast