Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Maybe English cap?

Article about: None of the Sassanach forum members understand. Translation please ................. well, I understood 'Guinness.' (not that Im a Sassanach myself)

yab
    ?

Default Maybe English cap?

Hi, can anyone tell me something about this cap, eventually show me a pic of the ship? I don`t know if it is English or Irish, probably post war? when did the ship exist? ect.
    Regards Yab.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Maybe English cap?   Maybe English cap?  

Maybe English cap?  

?

Default Re: Maybe English cap?

It might help if you showed details of the inscription inside, as it appears there is reference to the unit?, company? ie coy, and a possible name

Irish Republic Navy.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

It's Irish.

The cap badge is the Irish Defence Forces, known as the 'FF badge', for obvious reasons. Also, the word on the cap tally, "Éire", is gaelic for "Ireland"

I don't know enough about Irish militaria to date it properly, unfortunately

Rob

It is as stated above, a ratings cap for the Irish Republic Navy. The badge is the same as the IDF one but is actually slightly smaller. There is no indication of ship or establishment identification as with other Navy’s of the world possibly due to the small size of the Irish Republic Navy of approximately 900 men and women.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

yab
    ?

Hi, thanks for answers until now, when I get back home I will see if I can read what is written inside, but now I know it is Irish.
    Regards Yab.

?

As its from the Emerald Isle, you might want to change that heading to avoid a headbutt from someone carrying a Guinness in each hand *

*Warning; the above may contain stereotypes.

Quote by big ned View Post
    The badge is the same as the IDF one but is actually slightly smaller.
    Just for the sake of being unnecessarily pedantic, I think you mean same as the Army one, but slightly smaller. The Irish Army, Naval Service and Air Corps all form part of the IDF.

Rob

?

A caipín dubhghorm deas Gaeilge. Is mise an fear na hÉireann leis an Guinness.

Cheers, Pat

I understood the last word
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast