Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Not Your Average RCAF Officer's Side Cap

Article about: My new RCAF officer's side cap arrived today. This one is named to a F/L Knight. What's unusual about this cap is the Other Airmen's cap badge mounted to the cap. Look closely and you will n

?

Default Not Your Average RCAF Officer's Side Cap

My new RCAF officer's side cap arrived today. This one is named to a F/L Knight. What's unusual about this cap is the Other Airmen's cap badge mounted to the cap. Look closely and you will notice a piece of dark colored cloth backing in the general shape of an Officer's badge used on Peaked Caps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Officer's Side Cap 1.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	202.7 KB 
ID:	956963 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Officer's Side Cap 2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	956964

Name:	Officer's Side Cap 3.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	168.3 KB 
ID:	956965 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Officer's Side Cap 4.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	956966

o

CBH
    ?

Wouldn't this be an enlisted mans wedge ? I thought officers wore the two piece eagle and crown insignia . Nice wedge cap either way , and I'm glad to see RCAF being collected in the US . Keep up the good work .
    Cheers Chris

?

Hi Chris,

It's definitely an Officer's cap, it is made from Barathea wool, not the courser blue serge material used for OA's caps and uniforms. I have some of each in my collection so it's easy to compare them. It's just an "odd" piece that stands out from the norm.

Been collecting RCAF for at least 15 years and if you do a search here you should be able to see parts of my collection. Just added a Canadian made Officer's Peaked Cap this morning, also made by Muir.

I see you're from Cape Brenton; I requested information on relocating and retiring to the Island if Trump wins the election here in November. What's your opinion of Cape Brenton?

CBH
    ?

Well that made me laugh ! Cape Breton is a beautiful place , but it is off the beaten path with a long cold winter . If that doesn't put you off you , you'd love it here . And I can't blame you for leaving if Thump gets in ! Scary Thought .
    I thought I read somewhere about that badge being OR's , but I guess I'm wrong . I have some RCAF myself , haven't posted much . But I should .
    Cheers Chris

?

Quote by CBH View Post
    I thought I read somewhere about that badge being OR's , but I guess I'm wrong . I have some RCAF myself , haven't posted much . But I should .
    You did read that the badge on that cap is OR. The photo below is one of my Officer's caps with the correct 2 piece cap badge. I'd like to see you post some RCAF items.

Name:	Side Cap, Officer's.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	957636

?

Muir is still around, now in east Toronto..they now seem to make band items ect.

Dean O
    Canada

CBH
    ?

I'll have to get some photos taken and posted . Here are my wings .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4523.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	263.0 KB 
ID:	957726  
    Cheers Chris

?

Nice Chris. I actually like the RCAF wings over the RAF versions.