Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Peak Cap RN or RAN

Article about: G'day all I'm stumped on this one I'm not sure if it's WW2, RN, RAN or other? All help appreciated.

Default Peak Cap RN or RAN

G'day all
    I'm stumped on this one I'm not sure if it's WW2, RN, RAN or other?
    All help appreciated.

Aussie or less likely South African made, but other than that I could not say with certainty. Have you tried researching the maker?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Aussie or less likely South African made, but other than that I could not say with certainty. Have you tried researching the maker?
    I agree with Jerry, it's certainly not RN or even British.

Regards

Mark

?

Rankine and Dobbie were Melbourne tailors from at least WWI to the 1950's. Lots of mentions on the Trove NLA website.
    Maybe a government department uniform like an inspector? Just my guess.

Oz.

Cheers guys from a description I read from the AWM it's 40's period. Still unconfirmed though.

My impression was that it might actually be RAAF given the size of the shadow left by the badge and the flash has washed it out significantly but it looks like the dark Aussie blue material and the buttons and chinstrap are typical of what you find on air force caps too. How does the wool look in the daylight?

Quote by asterperious View Post
    My impression was that it might actually be RAAF given the size of the shadow left by the badge and the flash has washed it out significantly but it looks like the dark Aussie blue material and the buttons and chinstrap are typical of what you find on air force caps too. How does the wool look in the daylight?
    I think it's darker but I have to say I only have a UK made RAAF cap. Here's some shots outside (overcast day)
    If it is found to be RAAF I do have a spare insignia set for it

also I found this on the maker

Here is one of my RAAF caps for comparison

Peak Cap RN or RAN
    Peak Cap RN or RAN
    Peak Cap RN or RAN

?

Yes certainly a puzzle. It does look more air force in the construction of the Top, however the peak and chinstrap, as well as its colour suggest a naval cap of somekind. I have seen an army cap with the sewn Top detail made by a maker which was predominantly more "air force" focused, so perhaps that would explain the top on a naval cap.

It could be anything from RAN to Merchant Navy, although the badge shading in the first image looks like the lower section of a Petty Officer's badge... scroll down the page Royal Navy & Royal MarinesPeak Caps - OCAD Militaria Collectors Resources

Alternatively it could be civilian, such as an Air line pilot hat...

Oli