Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Possible WWII Royal Marines Service Beret?

Article about: Gents, The price was right on this and made the leap to buy it. From what I can gather it is the same style beret and flash of the Royal Marines. However, without the Kangol stamp and there

Default Possible WWII Royal Marines Service Beret?

Gents,

The price was right on this and made the leap to buy it. From what I can gather it is the same style beret and flash of the Royal Marines. However, without the Kangol stamp and the lack of a manufacturers label sewn in the interior that has been either deteriorated or has been purposely removed could this have been a WWII issued beret? It does have the "V cut" drawstring opening which would lead one to believe it is WWII. There is an unusual cap badge or, at least to me to the other examples that I have seen and a sewn in serial number.

I thank all of those in the know who can shed some light on this piece.

Regards,

Joel
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Possible WWII Royal Marines Service Beret?   Possible WWII Royal Marines Service Beret?  

Possible WWII Royal Marines Service Beret?   Possible WWII Royal Marines Service Beret?  

Possible WWII Royal Marines Service Beret?   Possible WWII Royal Marines Service Beret?  

This beret is a little different from which was discussed in this very informative threadhttps://www.warrelics.eu/forum/cloth-headgear-western-allies/wwii-british-berets-traits-construction-482975/

Royal Netherlands Marine Corps (Korps Mariniers) beret, still in use today. I think this example might date from around the 1960's. It has the 'barracks' anchor; the anchor for daily/field wear is blackened.

It is dutch, I have one, if it was wartime it would be rare, mine is post war
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Gentlemen,

Thank you so much for your input. I must say in hindsight that this item turned out to have a unique statistic.. It is the first piece of militaria from Holland that I own. I appreciate your help and expertise once again.

Regards,

Joel

The one I have.

I got it in the flea market when I lived in Amsterdam.

Mine has the blackened combat badge and is I think older than yours, being multi part construction?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Possible WWII Royal Marines Service Beret?  
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    The one I have.

I got it in the flea market when I lived in Amsterdam.

Mine has the blackened combat badge and is I think older than yours, being multi part construction?
    The beret is the early 3-piece type, in use from WW2 to the early 1960's and I think the badge is from the same time-frame, yes. I can't make out from the photos if it has the black- or grey leather edge, the grey one being the 2nd type (mid- to late 1950's onwards).

Quote by earlymb View Post
    The beret is the early 3-piece type, in use from WW2 to the early 1960's and I think the badge is from the same time-frame, yes. I can't make out from the photos if it has the black- or grey leather edge, the grey one being the 2nd type (mid- to late 1950's onwards).

Thanks for the extra info.

The edging is black from memory, I am away for a few days so can't check.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Possible WWII Royal Marines Service Beret?  
    Regards,

Jerry

Jerry,
    Thank you for posting your example. Interesting to see the similarities between the English variant and the Dutch.

Regards,

Joel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast