MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A quiet unusual worcestershire cap

Article about: It is made in Antwerp... Any thoughts!?

Default A quiet unusual worcestershire cap

It is made in Antwerp...
    Any thoughts!?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A quiet unusual worcestershire cap   A quiet unusual worcestershire cap  

Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

The cap cords don't look British and no Regt buttons

No, indeed the cord is Belgian.

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by kradman View Post
    The cap cords don't look British and no Regt buttons
    Yep these two points are clearly wrong.

It's not possible to authenticate the badge from these pics but it does look right for a pre 1925 (therefore correct for WWI) Worcester Regt all brass version.

Given that although the cap is obviously not British it is the right colours for a British infantry regiment. This and the presence of a modern Haig fund "poppy" suggests to me that this is connected to the annual Belgian remembrance services at places like the Menin Gate at Ypres perhaps?

Regards

Mark

PS If the badge is correct and as I say it looks OK, it is worth having on it's own so as long as the cap was not expensive the deal is probably not a loss.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 05-20-2016 at 02:43 PM. Reason: PS
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks both for the reply.

I'll add pic's of the badge when I manage to get it off.
    It is no secret that many British soldiers found the love of theyre life during they stay in Antwerp, and part of them stayed here as well.
    So could it be that a former Worcester Regt soldier (who lived here) had the cap made to participate to rememberens services.
    To me the cap must have been made in the mid sixties...

cheers
    |<ris

Here are more details.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A quiet unusual worcestershire cap   A quiet unusual worcestershire cap  

cheers
    |<ris

I must say that the thought of an ex-pat soldier had occurred to me but I didn't want to make such a "pink and fluffy" suggestion!

With the badge removed I am pretty sure I can see signs of a national cockade having been fitted above a regimental device other than the Worcesters badge. So, the ex-pat theory being correct this would be a re-cycled hat rather than one specially made.

The badge I am not altogether sure about; the points of the star are a little rounded for my liking, the slider is fixed in an unusual position for this badge and the reverse detail is a little soft especially inside the circlet where it looks rather blurred. These may be differences between makers and there were quite a few, mostly unmarked. Also, this badge pattern was in use from the late 19th century until 1925.

The problem is that almost all British cap badges from 1914 onwards are still made and sold in regimental museums. They are not sold to deceive in these cases but are obviously not originals and many subsequently end up being passed off as such

I am not saying yours is not original, just for the above reasons I am not sure about it.
    The combination of the very good obverse and blurry reverse always makes me step back

The best thing to do is find a collector locally who knows British badges and have them hold it in hand. Unlike any other nations badges I find this is the best way because one develops a "nose" for these things. It is likely OK but you want to know either way don't you?

Here is one in my collection. As you can see the obverse has some wear from age which is difficult to replicate and the reverse has a definition from a firm strike although this is not easy to photgraph in this particular case.

A quiet unusual worcestershire capA quiet unusual worcestershire cap

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 05-20-2016 at 04:35 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks for your time Mark.
    |<

cheers
    |<ris

As already stated, pimped Belgian cap. Kris, do you know which unit the cap was for, is it military? The Belgian ca I own has national buttons on it with the lion but I notice this has plain buttons.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A quiet unusual worcestershire cap  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hey Jerry,
    there is no Belgian organisation I can think about using this kind of cap's.
    The only who come close could be the salvation army, but it doesn't match them eighter.
    Judging by the label it dates from the 1960 ties. But that is as far as I can identify it.

cheers
    |<ris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast