Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

RAF Beret, cloth, blue grey.

Article about: Hi Guys, the RAF adopted a blue grey beret in 1943 initially only for wear by members of the RAF Regiment. Gradually authorisation for wear of the beret spread from trade to trade but it nev

Default RAF Beret, cloth, blue grey.

Hi Guys, the RAF adopted a blue grey beret in 1943 initially only for wear by members of the RAF Regiment. Gradually authorisation for wear of the beret spread from trade to trade but it never fully replaced the "FS" cap until after WW2.

Some berets were true berets in cut and design i.e. made from one peice of cloth.

Here is a more scarce example from my collection which dates from 1948 and is of multi peice construction making it similar to the Army's "GS" cap. This one is mint, unissued. So it has never had a cap badge fitted. The badge worn on the beret could either be the conventional brass OR's badge or the late war austerity pattern in black plastic. Note the red fibreboard backing on the inside to provide a shaped support for the cap badge.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Beret, cloth, blue grey.   RAF Beret, cloth, blue grey.  

RAF Beret, cloth, blue grey.   RAF Beret, cloth, blue grey.  

RAF Beret, cloth, blue grey.   RAF Beret, cloth, blue grey.  

RAF Beret, cloth, blue grey.  

Default Re: RAF Beret, cloth, blue grey.

As a former member of the RAF Regiment and 23 years service, a modern day beret as worn nowadays
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Beret, cloth, blue grey.   RAF Beret, cloth, blue grey.  

Ben

Hi Ben, I thought that you would enjoy seeing this one

It is interesting how the way in which the beret is worn has altered over the years: the modern fashion is of course to shrink the beret to make it smaller.

Your beret looks nice and well worn.

Cheers, Ade.

I have worn this one for a few years Ade
    Ben