Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

RAF officer cap

Article about: Hi All, Can anyone tell me the differences between early WW2, late war and early post war RAF officer caps? I noticed from photos and examples that some caps don't have piping around the top

Default RAF officer cap

Hi All,
    Can anyone tell me the differences between early WW2, late war and early post war RAF officer caps?
    I noticed from photos and examples that some caps don't have piping around the top, are these attrbuted to early WW2?
    Also noticed all post war till present day there is piping but did piping exist during WW2? It is entirely possibly reenactors put WW2 cap badges on Cold War era caps to make it appear WW2.

Simon

?

Default Re: RAF officer cap

Hi Simon,

You are right that reenactors can be known to put wartime or even repro wartime badges on postwar caps, especially as postwar caps can be cheaper to acquire than let;s say repros.. There are however some modern caps especially aimed at the reenactor, you just have to see ebay for an example or two (they are listed at around the £50 mark).

I have written a brief introduction on this general field in at Interesting Articles - OCAD Militaria Collectors Resources

The question of piping is a complex one, but it is safe to say that all postwar RAF Officer caps have piping.

Oli

Default Re: RAF officer cap

Thanks for the info Oli.