Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

RAF Officers cap/ WW2?

Article about: Hello gentlemen ,another rare visit into the allied area for me! Could you learned friends please give me your opinions on this nice RAF Officers cap that I just bought off of fleabay. I thi

Hi Leon, I have been reading the thread and in order to try and convince you of the period of the cap you have I have taken photos of one of my Pre WWII RAF Officer's caps. Things to note:

1. General configuration and stitching patters are all pre war style.

2. My cap is a bit older than yours as can be seen in the syle of cap badge. The badge field is in the shape of either an oval or tear drop. This style was removed from the RAF Publication "Dress Regulations for Officers of the Royal Air Force" in the 1930's and replaced by the current "cut out" style badge prior to WWII.

3. Although well used, the visor underside is black not green as usualy found on early caps. The visor on later styled RAF officer's caps is grey materiel and there is no rolled outer edge.

4. The depth of the leather sweat band is invariably deeper on pre 1953 caps.

5. The internal construction, the stitching and the general appearance on your cap is essentialy the same as mine. Ergo pre WWII.

May I respectfully suggest that all of the above, in conjunction with my own experience (I have over 2 1/2 thousand caps) tells me that you have, as I described above, a bloody good WWII RAF Officer's cap. With regard to the other comments made about this cap, everything I have said, other than the badge details, is only my opinion. Ergo, I am not trying to shoot anyone down, pardon the pun please. I hope that you find this interesting and informative.
    Regards Michael R

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090816.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	324.0 KB 
ID:	677476Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090819.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	212.8 KB 
ID:	677480Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090817.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	326.8 KB 
ID:	677478Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090817 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	316.9 KB 
ID:	677477Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090818.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	322.1 KB 
ID:	677479

Thank you once again Michael for this great knowledgeable information , you really know your stuff but as you have 2,500 caps I am not surprised !! I was not personally questioning your appraisal of my cap , just with my limited research trying to show that I did not see anything pointing to a much later date than post 45 at worst. Your fantastic information and time has really shown that it is a much nicer and earlier date than even I expected so thank you once again! As I said in one of my earlier posts ,this tailor from what I can find out seemed to have it's "hey day" between the 1920's-1940's. After that they seem to fall off the scene. Thank you once again and if I do ever decide to sell this on I will contact you!! Leon.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway

Hi Again Leon, One thing that slipped my memory, its the age, you mention no indication that the manufacturer advertised military wear. Please bear in mind that, typicaly, following WWI we decimated our military just as we are now. Ergo come the late 1930's, there was a major, and I mean major rush to reconstitute and enlarge our lost regiments and squdrons and establishments etc. Therefore, I would suggest with the vastly increased requirments for uniforms etc. all tailors would be producing uniform for both the military and private sectors. Just a thought!!
    Cheers again. MR

Michael , I just thought I would add that I paid 130 for it, I thought that was reasonable but what do I know? All the best ,Leon.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway

I love the Brit caps as they personify the cap makers art so well. I'm all ears when threads like this pop up. I also like tutorial threads that lay down the rules of thumb or important criteria for evaluation. Wartime always floats my boat whereas knowing I've bungled into post war lets the wind out of my sails.

Hi Nigel, I agree with all you say except the last sntence!!!! "Bungled into post war", what's wrong with post war? Most of my collection is PW but I enjoy it none-the-less and it is considderably cheaper and usually cleaner. Don't worry, I am not having a go at you I just think that perhaps you are setting expencive limitations on your collecting field(s). I know, none of my bloody business!! If you have or do "bungle" into any half way decent PW caps and want to down load them, remember me please.
    All the best and happy hunting Regards MR

Hi Leon, 130, not cheap but I have seen proveable WWII Officer's caps (which I believe yours is) on E Bay at getting on for twice that figure. A nice cap at a fair price IMHO. Regards MR

PS One other thing to bear in mind with British caps, the label does not always show the manufacturer's details. A lot of tailors bought and still do buy in caps and have their own logos and details on the label rather than the menufacturer's. Take a look at the stiched diamonds on both your cap and mine and and judge for yourself whether they look somewhat alike?????????????????????????????????? Cheers again MR

Hi Michael(and guys), thank you all for your input , I just thought I would add this image of the size label that is in the rear of the cap(I forgot to add it at the start of the post). I guess as this piece is now confirmed as a nice early example by Michael that the lack of wear suggests the original owner may well have been one of the unfortunate brave chaps who were lost early in the war, whether it be Fighter or Bomber command. There are very faint F.P initials written onto the leather band but they are so faint that my camera would not pick them up. Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a 001.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	677489  

I will remember you for sure. To each his own, I think its great that you accept PW into your collection as it obviously provides a valid point of reference but there is a potent mindset that goes with items that fit into a wartime era. The opportunity to own an 'original' piece from that era (WWI-II) is compelling. I would rather pay $500 clams for a real BoB RAF hat than $125 for a 1950 RAF hat that may be almost identical.

PS.....those monetary amounts cited just as an example. An original RAF cap from BoB may be more....?

Yes Nigel, I hear what you say!! You are what I would call a purist and there is nothing wrong with that as far as I am concirned. Just a bit expencive!! If, at any time in the future, you ever want an opinion or to check anything in RAF Dress Regulations, please feel free to contact me. I may be old, grey and knackered, but there are still a few tired and confused brain cells on overtime work!!

Leon, yes, your cap may have belonged to some RAF casualty but it is more likely to have been what we called his "Big Hat". That is his best parade cap rather than his every day cap worn with his Number 2 Dress Uniform (Battle Dress) especially if he was a regularfull service commissioned officer of pre war vintage.

Regards and best wishes to all.

PS would you like to see some pics of some of my caps??

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast