Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

RAF / RAAF fs cap colour comparison

Article about: Here are two OR caps from my collection showing the different colours used. The RAAF caps I have are all made from a much finer, softer material than the rough material of the RAF caps. RAAF

Default RAF / RAAF fs cap colour comparison

Here are two OR caps from my collection showing the different colours used. The RAAF caps I have are all made from a much finer, softer material than the rough material of the RAF caps. RAAF caps have proper lining but no sweat band.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF / RAAF fs cap colour comparison  

?

Default Re: RAF / RAAF fs cap colour comparison

The RAAF cap looks so much better But that's a biased opinion. I can give you the story behind how the RAAF ended up dark blue if you don't already know it.

Both nice caps

I would be very interested in why the RAAF adopted dark blue. RCAF and RNZAF all use similar colours to the RAF. Why the dark blue then?

?

When the RAAF was established in 1921 it was intended for the new service to operate seamlessly with the RAF by using the same aircraft, structure, ranks, uniform, etc (similar to what occurred with the RN and the dominion Navies). At the time the RAF still had not settled on their own uniform and The Service’s senior officer at that time, Wing Commander (later Air Marshal Sir) Richard Williams, was keen to have his personnel out of their old Army uniforms and into a distinctive Air Force one. Sir Richard recounted in his memoirs of having found the colour during a visit to the Commonwealth Woollen Mills at Geelong, Victoria, where he observed serge material being dipped into indigo dye to produce navy blue. He liked the shade achieved one dip short of the required five, and chose that shade for the RAAF. The new RAAF uniforms began to be issued in 1922 and continued in use until a blue-gray all seasons uniform was introduced in 1972. When the other dominion Air Forces were established the RAF had settled on their gray uniform and they followed the RAF's lead.
    Air force Blue was reintroduced to the RAAF in 1992 and today all RAAF members are dressed in the traditional RAAF colour.
    Hope that explains how the RAAF ended up different

Quote by BungB View Post
    When the RAAF was established in 1921 it was intended for the new service to operate seamlessly with the RAF by using the same aircraft, structure, ranks, uniform, etc (similar to what occurred with the RN and the dominion Navies). At the time the RAF still had not settled on their own uniform and The Service’s senior officer at that time, Wing Commander (later Air Marshal Sir) Richard Williams, was keen to have his personnel out of their old Army uniforms and into a distinctive Air Force one. Sir Richard recounted in his memoirs of having found the colour during a visit to the Commonwealth Woollen Mills at Geelong, Victoria, where he observed serge material being dipped into indigo dye to produce navy blue. He liked the shade achieved one dip short of the required five, and chose that shade for the RAAF. The new RAAF uniforms began to be issued in 1922 and continued in use until a blue-gray all seasons uniform was introduced in 1972. When the other dominion Air Forces were established the RAF had settled on their gray uniform and they followed the RAF's lead.
    Air force Blue was reintroduced to the RAAF in 1992 and today all RAAF members are dressed in the traditional RAAF colour.
    Hope that explains how the RAAF ended up different
    Cheers BungB

This is a help for me anyway

?

BungB,

Thats interesting stuff.

Is there a book on the RAAF uniform?

Thanks,

Oli

?

There is no book that I know that details the development of the RAAF uniform, the description of the uniform colour comes from "these are the facts" by Air Marshal Richard Williams.

Hopefully the attached image will come through. Not a good photo but is from last years RAAF Base Richmond 85th birthday reception and shows personnel dressed as a Corporal from 1945, a Leading Aircraftman from 1975 and a modern day Sergeant.

RAF / RAAF fs cap colour comparison

?

Thanks, and that is a great image. Interesting that the colour has returned to that of the original.

Just out of interest, are ww2 era RAAF caps easy to come by, as I have been looking for a while and they do not appear that often, from what I can gather.

Oli

?

Quote by Ocad View Post
    Thanks, and that is a great image. Interesting that the colour has returned to that of the original.

Just out of interest, are ww2 era RAAF caps easy to come by, as I have been looking for a while and they do not appear that often, from what I can gather.

Oli
    The OR caps seem to pop up regularly but the Officer peak caps are harder to come across. I don't think many survived after being tossed in the corner or on top of the cupboard at the end of the war

Quote by BungB View Post
    The OR caps seem to pop up regularly but the Officer peak caps are harder to come across. I don't think many survived after being tossed in the corner or on top of the cupboard at the end of the war
    I only have one officers side cap example (only one I've seen) and a pile of OR ones