Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

RCAF Wedge Cap

Article about: Nice cap! there was a similar cap with the piping for sale on ebay recently, I think the badge was different though. The seller wanted £90 starting price for it. it was listed as a group cap

Default Re: RCAF Wedge Cap

Nice cap! there was a similar cap with the piping for sale on ebay recently, I think the badge was different though. The seller wanted £90 starting price for it. it was listed as a group captains cap.

?

Thanks to the help I received on this thread I was able to put together a partial carreer path of the owner of this RAF cap.

Herbert Nind Hampton, D.F.C.
    commissioned effective 24th October 1919, Flying Officer
    1st January, 1924, Flying Officer to Flight Lt.
    18th May, 1925, appointment to HQ Inland area
    12th April, 1928, assigned no.2 Flying Training school, Digby
    1930, various references to playing on the RAF Hockey team
    2nd April, 1935, Flight Lt. to Squadron Leader
    1st July, 1938, Squadron Leader to Wing Commander
    10th December 1940, Wing Commander to Group Captain

I was unable to find anything further other than a reference to Group Captain Hampton in 1946. Unfortunately I can't find anything on his promotion to Air Commodore or any combat details, if any.

Hi, Your cap is a pre 1953 air rank officer's Field Service cap. The cap is/was worn by RAF officers in the ranks of Air Commodore, Air Vice Marshal, Air Marshal, Air Chief Marshal and Marshal of the RAF. It is piped in minerva blue and is still current and can be found with either of two miniature badges. Your cap is wearing the air officer's badge. The cap is also worn with the standard pattern RAF officer's beret badge by Group Captains. Other Officers wear the same cap piped in blue Grey with an RAF Eagle looking to the rear of the cap and surmounted by the Crown. Warrant Officers wear the cap with the WO's beret badge and Airmen from Apprentice to Flight Sergeant with the standard RAF OR's cap badge in anodised aluminium or brass. You have a nice cap which may be either RAF or RCAF and one which I would be happy to purchase!! Regards Michael R

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2