Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Royal Art'y & other Service Dress caps

Article about: Hi again, A few more of various time periods. Hope they are of interest. Cheers MR

Hi Jerry, Nice cap. Yours is the first Christys Army cap I have come across. I have had and have numerous Police caps and helmets by that firm but never an army cap. Nice to see proof that they did infact make Army caps.
    Cheers Michael R

Quote by Michael Ryan View Post
    Hi Jerry, Nice cap. Yours is the first Christys Army cap I have come across. I have had and have numerous Police caps and helmets by that firm but never an army cap. Nice to see proof that they did infact make Army caps.
    Cheers Michael R
    Thanks Michel. Good to know it is a bit different as I could not find much out about the Retailers. Christys' list military caps on their site history page.

About Us
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Great looking caps. While it is always difficult to date such caps, I would say with much certainty that it dates to the inte-rwar period or very early ww2. While regulations stated certain details, not all Outfitters were quite so rigid, as with the chinstrap. The outfitters were at that address in 1946. In the early 1980s they had been established 150 years, although I am not sure if they remain so.

Its a nice looking cap and I would be happy with it.

Oli

?

Some great caps shown on this thread. Here are two what I believe to be WWII era officer's service caps, for the Royal Engineers, and the King's Royal Rifle Corps.
    The RE is made of the typical cloth, while the KRRC is a very soft felt, almost like camel hair.
    Apolgies for my poor photo skills.

BobS
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Art'y & other Service Dress caps   Royal Art'y & other Service Dress caps  

Royal Art'y & other Service Dress caps   Royal Art'y & other Service Dress caps  

Another WWII example from my collection. Though the cap is not dated I have his SD tunic and trousers both of which are dated 1941. I also have his great coat but the date is washed out of that. The cap does not have the hard green underside to the peak, but must date to circa 1941 when he bought the rest of his uniform.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Art'y & other Service Dress caps   Royal Art'y & other Service Dress caps  

Regards,

Jerry

that cap has the widest chinstrap of any I own and I have a few post WWII that have narrower chinstraps than that one.

Last edited by Jerry B; 10-17-2014 at 12:57 PM.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Royal Art'y & other Service Dress capsRoyal Art'y & other Service Dress capsOne more, dress forage cap for the Irish Guards; it has a narrower chinstrap than my postwar Guards caps.

BobS

?

I really don't know; it can tend to get "carmelized" over time.

BobS

?

Royal Art'y & other Service Dress capsOne more WWII era cap, if I may. Officer's service dress for the Welsh Guards, made by Edward Smith.

BobS

Hi All, A few more modern British Army officer's SD caps which I hope are of interest.
    Regards Michael R

Royal Art'y & other Service Dress capsRoyal Art'y & other Service Dress capsRoyal Art'y & other Service Dress capsRoyal Art'y & other Service Dress capsRoyal Art'y & other Service Dress capsRoyal Art'y & other Service Dress capsRoyal Art'y & other Service Dress caps

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast