Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Royal engineers officers forage cap GVI

Article about: A bargain buy it now from the bay, Royal engineers junior officers forage (dress) cap, with George VI buttons and Silver & Gilt badge, therefore dating to between 1936 and 1953. Conditio

Default Royal engineers officers forage cap GVI

A bargain buy it now from the bay, Royal engineers junior officers forage (dress) cap, with George VI buttons and Silver & Gilt badge, therefore dating to between 1936 and 1953. Condition is pretty good and the cap unusually has a stiffening ring inside the crown and also a stiffener added to keep the front upright. Badge is maker marked, though is not very clear but JRGaunt London is most likely.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal engineers officers forage cap GVI   Royal engineers officers forage cap GVI  

Royal engineers officers forage cap GVI   Royal engineers officers forage cap GVI  

Royal engineers officers forage cap GVI   Royal engineers officers forage cap GVI  

Royal engineers officers forage cap GVI  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Another fine looking cap for the shelf Jerry as with some of my Mk II helmet liners I notice that it has started to lose its shape somewhat do you use a hat band stretcher or some other means to try and bring them back to shape.

Regards Mark

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    Another fine looking cap for the shelf Jerry as with some of my Mk II helmet liners I notice that it has started to lose its shape somewhat do you use a hat band stretcher or some other means to try and bring them back to shape.

Regards Mark
    Hi Mark, indeed another good addition to my collection. As regards trying to fix the misshapen liner, I do not, though I probably should, but I am not certain that it would make a difference as I think they would probably spring back out of shape. Maybe someone has had success doing it and can chip in. How about your lids, has it worked?
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Hi Jerry I am able to source very cheap stainless steel bowls from a couple of local stores and I find by inserting them in the liner and just leaving them that the shape gradually starts to return or at the very least stabilize the bowls are dome shaped as well so the farther I insert them in the liner the tighter they get.
    I use a combination of stainless steel paper towel holders with a base attached and cut them to different lengths and put a stainless steel screw through the bottom of the bowls to attach them to the stand so they are in essence a display stand as well they are quite cheap to make under $ 3.00 Cdn each.
    I had hoped by using stainless steel that they would cause no damage and or stain the textiles all seems good so far I will post up a couple of images if you like when I get back up north in a couple of days.

These are the best images I have on file Jerry I use a combination of either Bamboo and or SS to build my stands.

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal engineers officers forage cap GVI   Royal engineers officers forage cap GVI  

Sounds good Mark and some images if you can would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Royal engineers officers forage cap GVIRoyal engineers officers forage cap GVICongrats; a fine looking cap. I have found that cheap sponges, that I buy at Pep Boys auto parts store for $ 1.50, are great in reshaping caps, and can be easily be cut down to fit, if needed. Leaving the sponge in the cap for a month or two usually works wonders.
    Here is the service dress version of an RE officer's cap.

BobS

?

Hey Bob any chance of showing an image of the sponges from pep boy's.

Regards Mark

?

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    Hey Bob any chance of showing an image of the sponges from pep boy's.

Regards Mark
    Sorry, I have no photos. They are just cheap car washing sponges, about 8-10" long, pale yellow in color. I would think similiar items are available at many retailers. They used to be just a dollar!

BobS

?

Thanks Bob I know of the ones you speak of I have used them from time to time.

Regards Mark

Quote by BobS View Post
    Congrats; a fine looking cap. I have found that cheap sponges, that I buy at Pep Boys auto parts store for $ 1.50, are great in reshaping caps, and can be easily be cut down to fit, if needed. Leaving the sponge in the cap for a month or two usually works wonders.
    Here is the service dress version of an RE officer's cap.

BobS
    Very nice cap Bob. I have a post 53 version.

Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast