Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Royal Navy Officer's Cap King's Crown

Article about: Can anyone tell me about how old this cap is by the Grieve's label? Is it WWII? Annoyed from this ads?  

Default Royal Navy Officer's Cap King's Crown

Can anyone tell me about how old this cap is by the Grieve's label? Is it WWII?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Navy Officer's Cap King's Crown   Royal Navy Officer's Cap King's Crown  

Royal Navy Officer's Cap King's Crown  

The version of the makers logo is that for WWII and the all metal badge which I think was only really used during WWII, though I assume some carried on in use until stocks were exhausted.

A very nice example.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thank you very much.

I would agree with Jerry comments and say wartime too.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Nice cap with character. I would agree with Jerry. If the badge is originally to the cap, which it may well be as these economy badges didn't like to take the shape of the cap band, then I would say its a late WW2 cap. However you could trace the name in the cap to get a more precise date.

I have had a quick look and the only F. R. Assinder is from WW1 RFC, which certainly doesn't fit with the cap, unless the Officer served in WW2, which could happen.

Default Thank you

Thank you all.

The cap is certainly pre 1945 and the circular pattern of lining is usually associated with pre 1939 made caps, and is commonly seen in ww1 caps (though I agree that the badge is wartime) I have a wartime Gieves naval cap and the liner style is completely different.

?

Royal Navy Officer's Cap King's CrownRoyal Navy Officer's Cap King's CrownHere is my wartime cap, which was made by Gieves; their logo can bsrely be seen up close, but not in the photos.
    Named to a Surgeon-Captain on the sweatband.

BobS

There is an F. R. StC. Assinder MRCS, LRCP [Pytchley] Sg(L) Seniority 3.9.43 in the Navy List: February, 1944, Vol. I

?

Fantastic. I had a look in the London Gazette but couldn#t find much. although perhaps you have to try a few combinations.

but in Navy Lists of 1943 its states... Frank Rea St.Clair Assinder RNVR.

If this is the same man, then I would say the badge (with/without band) was either added to the cap later, or the cap a late war replacement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast