Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Royal Navy white top

Article about: post 1956 vinyl white top RN visor cap. Size is in old money 6&1/4, so not sure when the change to metric sizing takes place, 70's I assume, if anyone knows it would be appreciated. I on

Default Royal Navy white top

post 1956 vinyl white top RN visor cap. Size is in old money 6&1/4, so not sure when the change to metric sizing takes place, 70's I assume, if anyone knows it would be appreciated. I only bought it to display a WWII/early 50's badge and band, which looks good on it, but I think at some stage I will get a Queens crown badge for it and try and get an earlier cap for the badge, but this will do for now. It appears to have been ex fancy dress shop stock as it has the name masquerade written on the label and the sellers have lots of caps for sale at this time. Maker is Army & Navy Hat & Cap Co. Ltd. whose name did not change from the 30's until the modern period.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Navy white top   Royal Navy white top  

Royal Navy white top   Royal Navy white top  

Royal Navy white top  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Yep the badge is definately wrong as the cap no doubt dates from the late 1950s. What material are the side buttons?

Quote by Ocad View Post
    Yep the badge is definately wrong as the cap no doubt dates from the late 1950s. What material are the side buttons?
    I added the badge just for display as mentioned in the post. Buttons are cloth covered metal type.
    Regards,

Jerry

According to this link Metrication in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1974 Textile and wool transactions, leading clothing manufacturers adopt dual units
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Your right, Sorry Jerry, I replied too quickly. Anyway very interesting. I think you are right about the 1970s. The peak rim looks leather or oilcloth? If it was newer I would say it should be more vinyl with plastic side buttons, however I have not seen a 1980s example from this maker. The question is also when did they stop and did they use plastic buttons or cloth covered. Considering they were not on a par with Gieves and Hawkes I would think plastic.

?

It's a neat looking cap, regardless of the age!

Quote by Ocad View Post
    Have you seen this?
    I had not, or rather I had not paid attention to it, but that is indeed what I need, thanks, I have now added it to my watch list.

It still leaves me with my original problem in finding a cap to display the pre 53 cap band and badge I have. I have his jacket and trousers and he was a Commander (R) so I should try and get one of the correct rank and date.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Navy white top  
    Regards,

Jerry