Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Royal Observer Corps beret.

Article about: Evening gentlemen, I just thought that I would share with you the nice WWII Royal Observer Corps beret that I have just won on the bay. It is a KANGOL made piece and dated 1944, and will go

Default Royal Observer Corps beret.

Evening gentlemen, I just thought that I would share with you the nice WWII Royal Observer Corps beret that I have just won on the bay. It is a KANGOL made piece and dated 1944, and will go nicely with my 1939 dated ROC MKII helmet with the late war khaki over paint and unit flash. This was the unit I served in from the late 80's until the stand down in 1991, so I am slowly getting together some WWII period items. Leon. Royal Observer Corps beret.Royal Observer Corps beret.Royal Observer Corps beret.Royal Observer Corps beret.

Hi Fallschirmjager!

I have just come across this post from a few years back & wanted to commend you on a lovely kangol ROC beret! I would love to find one of these as I am currently building my own period ROC mannequin after discovering a 1942 dated uniform in my loft!

I have come across a headset that I believe to be ROC & wondered if you would be able to confirm this for me? From the research I've done they appear to be the ericsson sets used in line with the brest set?

Any info you could pass on would be most welcome

Best regards

Matt

Hi Matt, sorry for the slow reply, i've not been on the forum all that much recently one thing or another. Anyway, for what it is worth I think your head set is correct, looks the same as a set pictured in use on page 84 of Forwarned is forarmed a history of the Royal Observer Corps.
    P.S: I am not expert as I was in the ROC in the nuclear era!! Leon.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi Matt, sorry for the slow reply, i've not been on the forum all that much recently one thing or another. Anyway, for what it is worth I think your head set is correct, looks the same as a set pictured in use on page 84 of Forwarned is forarmed a history of the Royal Observer Corps.
    P.S: I am not expert as I was in the ROC in the nuclear era!! Leon.
    Hi Leon

Thank you for your reply & reassurance! I have been studying a lot of period photos & this style of set looks very similar.

Once I have finished the mannequin I will post a pic to cast your critical eye over!

Best regards

Matt

Hi Leon

Keeping my word, I just wanted to post this pic for your approval of the mannequin I am currently building in honour of the Royal Observer Corps during WW2.

The uniform belonged to Observer Frank K Rumens who served for 5 wartime years on 2/J3 FRANT Post. He would have been residing at or near Frant in Horsham ROC Group.

All period items & dated 1942/43

Hope you're well & best regards

Matt

Royal Observer Corps beret.Royal Observer Corps beret.

That looks fantastic, great display Matt! Leon.

?

That is very nice display set up. Good Job. May I ask , Were these the folks used as look outs for Luftwaffe during BOB? Or is this a different organization? Semper Fi Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    That is very nice display set up. Good Job. May I ask , Were these the folks used as look outs for Luftwaffe during BOB? Or is this a different organization? Semper Fi Phil
    Spot on Phil! BOB and far beyond. The ROC was a kind of "Auxilliery" formation and as Leon says they continued operating right up to 1991 when everyone decided that the Cold War was well and truly over with no remaining risk of us getting Nuked. This is the period that I know the ROC from and they represent something of the potential horror of the homeland being wasted whilst the likes of many of us here would be "wrestling the bear" in NW Europe!

There were many ROC OPs which were small two/three man bunkers buried a couple of metres underground and equipped with radiological monitoring gear should the worst happen. There were hundreds of these OPs, some on government property and some on private (appropriated) land. Since the stand down the bunkers were mostly stripped of equipment but many retained furniture etc. Some remained locked but most were left open (or broken into) and have now been disfigured by vandals and covered in grafitti/rubbish. Sadly this post WWII evidence of an important part of the history is in danger of being lost but there is at least one group now engaged in preservation / restoration of these enigmatic structures. Let's hope it isn't too late lest people think that this crucial contribution ended in 1945. I have a funny feeling we might need something like this again.
    I'll look for some links which might provoke discussion. I am sure (know actually) other nations had similar provision.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-30-2020 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Spot on Phil! BOB and far beyond. The ROC was a kind of "Auxilliery" formation and as Leon says they continued operating right up to 1991 when everyone decided that the Cold War was well and truly over with no remaining risk of us getting Nuked. This is the period that I know the ROC from and they represent something of the potential horror of the homeland being wasted whilst the likes of many of us here would be "wrestling the bear" in NW Europe!

There were many ROC OPs which were small two/three man bunkers buried a couple of metres underground and equipped with radiological monitoring gear should the worst happen. There were hundreds of these OPs, some on government property and some on private (appropriated) land. Since the stand down the bunkers were mostly stripped of equipment but many retained furniture etc. Some remained locked but most were left open (or broken into) and have now been disfigured by vandals and covered in grafitti/rubbish. Sadly this post WWII evidence of an important part of the history is in danger of being lost but there is at least one group now engaged in preservation / restoration of these enigmatic structures. Let's hope it isn't too late lest people think that this crucial contribution ended in 1945. I have a funny feeling we might need something like this again.
    I'll look for some links which might provoke discussion. I am sure (know actually) other nations had similar provision.

Regards

Mark
    Could not have put it better myself! If I get the chance over the weekend I will photograph my uniform from 1990-91 and stand down certificate of service. Leon.