Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Royal Scots Greys officers SD cap

Article about: Arrived today post 1953, but probably not by much, pre 60's I think. Nice with its original silver and gilt officers buttons, though missing its badge, but nice to see it with the correct bl

Default Royal Scots Greys officers SD cap

Arrived today post 1953, but probably not by much, pre 60's I think. Nice with its original silver and gilt officers buttons, though missing its badge, but nice to see it with the correct black crown piping unique to them and in memory of Tsar Nicholas II, who was Colonel-in-Chief of the Greys until his death toward the end of the Great war.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Scots Greys officers SD cap   Royal Scots Greys officers SD cap  

Royal Scots Greys officers SD cap   Royal Scots Greys officers SD cap  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

An example of the missing officers cap badge in Silver & gilt.

Royal Scots Greys officers SD cap

If any one knows of one for sale or swap.

Royal Scots Greys - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Regards,

Jerry

Very nice. I had not seen one of these piped SD caps before.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Very nice. I had not seen one of these piped SD caps before.

Cheers, Ade.
    I have only seen one other Ade and the Greys were the only regiment with such a distinction on the SD cap.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Royal Scots Greys officers SD capA nice and scarce cap. congratulations. Here is the same cap, another Herbert Johnson, but to a colonel or brigadier. The side buttons are identical.
    Despite the regiment's existence until amalgamation in 1971, it seems that dress caps, or service caps for the Greys are quite scarce. I would love to have an officer's dress forage cap for the RSG.

BobS

Thanks Bob, it was your example to which I referred, not a common cap at all. Do you know what colours are on the Greys forage cap?
    Regards,

Jerry

?

I know that the dress cap was dark blue, with white vandyking for other ranks. I thought that applied to officer caps as well, but I read on another forum that it was gold; I have no photo in any of my many refernce sources showing that.
    I'm in my office, so I will check when I get home. I am also not sure if the Greys had white piping on the crown or not, as for the RSDG.

BobS

BobS

Thanks Bob, one to keep an eye out for.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

I just checked my reference books. The only two photos of a RSG dress forage cap, both for o/r's, have NO crown piping.
    I have never seen in the flesh, or a photo of the officer version, but that reference to gold vandyking seems doubtful to me.
    Any items to the Greys, short of common cap badges, seem quite scarce. Don't check the price of a Waterloo Medal to the Greys, unless you are sitting down!

Bob Shoaf

After being offered a replacement cap badge for £75 and seeing another for sale at £80 I was very pleased to get one from the bay for less than 10% of what seems to be the going rate, though as it came from the USA the postage was quite pricey, but it still worked out as being somewhat of a bargain.

It arrived today. The "S" behind where the pin goes was used by J.R.Gaunt during WWII and into the 1950's.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Scots Greys officers SD cap   Royal Scots Greys officers SD cap  

Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast