Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Slouch hat and patch identification

Article about: Can anyone identify these two slouch hat patches? The blue / red diamond is exactly the same as the Ordnance Corps from 2 Div AIF (see image below) but nothing else on the hat seems to match

Default Slouch hat and patch identification

Can anyone identify these two slouch hat patches?

The blue / red diamond is exactly the same as the Ordnance Corps from 2 Div AIF (see image below) but nothing else on the hat seems to match.

The second patch I have no idea. I got the hat from a lady in Albany WA who was given it by a local fella.
    Slouch hat and patch identificationSlouch hat and patch identificationSlouch hat and patch identification
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Slouch hat and patch identification  

Repro colour patches abound and also some were used into the modern period. You also need to look at the slouchies and see what date they are, most are marked on the sweatband and wartime examples follow a fairly strict format. Better pics would help in dating the hats, and then from that allow definition on the patches.

the blue and purple example seems to have gone a funny colour, I have one thats gone a strange shade of green, too much sun or something affecting it.

The pug bands are also often dated on the back, so if not stitched in place try looking there as well.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks Jerry. Neither hat has anything on the liners but show signs of age. It's got me stumped.

The second hat is a modern hat with a modern ordnance corps patch (2nd Divisional Supply)

2nd Divisional Supply Unit Colour Patch [ORD0011] - $4.00 : Colour Patches, An Australian Army Tradition

- Chris

?

5 fold puggaree? When and where were these used?
    A very close look at the Ordnance patch would show if it had the period woven sub-structure or the modern no-weave felt.

Oz.

Quote by Ubique View Post
    5 fold puggaree? When and where were these used?
    A very close look at the Ordnance patch would show if it had the period woven sub-structure or the modern no-weave felt.

Oz.
    Interesting. Are you able to explain further how to ID either. Im haberdashery challenged!

Quote by Daremeister View Post
    Interesting. Are you able to explain further how to ID either. Im haberdashery challenged!
    Regarding the pleats. Digger History states 5 pleats were introduced in 1967 although I haven't seen many hats (other than these two) with the same.

Puggaree

?

Here is my WWI colour patch showing the weave. Modern felt just looks like matted hair in close up.

I have several Vn puggarees which are all seven fold. I'm certainly not saying Digger History is wrong, just that I am unfamiliar with 5 fold pugs except those sold as souvenirs. Can you spot any markings on these?

Oz.

Quote by Daremeister View Post
    Regarding the pleats. Digger History states 5 pleats were introduced in 1967 although I haven't seen many hats (other than these two) with the same.

Puggaree
    Whilst I am sure they know what they are talking about, the info provided is a bit confusing. They show a table with no fold pugs for WWII, news to me except for the very early wool type, most WWII examples have 7 folds, which they do mention in another part of the same thread. I have what appears to be a 4 fold pug sewn to a 43 dated slouchie so what date does that make the pug!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Slouch hat and patch identification   Slouch hat and patch identification  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.