Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

South African Slouch Hat

Article about: Dear all, I am posting this to see if there are any experts on SA Slouchies. If so I would greatly appreciate any feedback on origin etc for a recent acquisition. All my slouchies are Austra

Default South African Slouch Hat

Dear all,

I am posting this to see if there are any experts on SA Slouchies. If so I would greatly appreciate any feedback on origin etc for a recent acquisition.

All my slouchies are Australian, some civilian and some military issue. This is the first SA slouchie I've ever come across so I know next to nothing about these sort of hats.

My apologies for somewhat lacking pictures but I would like to reach out to you all in the hope of getting some info on manufacturer, age etc.

The hat has three holes in the front bit just above the puggaree, I assume for a badge of some sort.

I thank you in advance for your time.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture South African Slouch Hat   South African Slouch Hat  

South African Slouch Hat   South African Slouch Hat  

South African Slouch Hat  

The military issued examples I have seen -all from WWII- have been of one type, with very different makers markings etc and also they have pierced hole vents on both sides.

Without being 100% certain, I think this is post WWII and probably civilian in origin.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture South African Slouch Hat   South African Slouch Hat  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Great stuff many thanks for taking the time to give me some info 😃👍👍

Default British WW2 slouchie?

Dear all, would any expert here please tell me more regarding this hat I came across recently please? Apart from this being British I would dearly appreciate date, unit etc. Looking forward to hearing from you all soon.South African Slouch HatSouth African Slouch Hat

WWII for RE, though hard when the pic is upside down, but blue/red is RE and red/blue is RA.
    Regards,

Jerry

Many thanks sir. It turned upside down for some reason when posting this using my phone. Many thanks again

Default Hat correctly displayed now.

Many thanks for your assistance!South African Slouch HatSouth African Slouch Hat

Default Assistance please- Vero's Self Conforming Head Band

South African Slouch HatDear all, I find myself wanting to ask some more questions about this hat, does anyone have any more info you care to share with me regarding this suspension please? I had a look online for similar hats and only came up with one more hat with VERO'S DETACHABLE SELF-CONFORMING HEAD BAND. All the other hats from the same time I found had the regular, and as I've gathered, more common aussie slouch hat type sweatband/ liner. So, would anyone care to give me some more info on Veros patent, period used etc please? Are they still around? Lastly, I cannot find the manufacturer of this particular RA hat. Does anyone know the manufacturer/s of this hat and where would I need to look for the marking?

Vero was probably the maker of the slouch hat, though this type of liner us more often seen in pith helmets of the period, c. 1930-40's

I don't remember seeing a date in this type of liner, so only dated so only dated approximately
    Regards,

Jerry