Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

South Wales Borderers Officers SD cap

Article about: Another great looking cap Jerry, I agree, the chinstrap looks more earlier than the cap, but that would be due to what was available at the time or it perhaps at some point the chinstrap was

Default South Wales Borderers Officers SD cap

Picked this one up today after work in Cardiff, and pleased to get it. Named A.L.Wood on the sweat band and inside it, and dated 1st 6th 1945, though the full version is hard to see but that on the inside is clearer, but does not have the initials or date. Dates to the period between VE and VJ days.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture South Wales Borderers Officers SD cap   South Wales Borderers Officers SD cap  

South Wales Borderers Officers SD cap   South Wales Borderers Officers SD cap  

South Wales Borderers Officers SD cap   South Wales Borderers Officers SD cap  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Default Re: South Wales Borderers Officers SD cap

Great looking cap. An early Herbert Johnson made example?

BobS

Looks like it is in great shape.
    Congrats Jerry

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Hi Bob, indeed Herbert Johnson, the others I have seen have a different logo? This one I have only has the Royal arms and not the POW feathers.

The company have been going a long time. Herbert Johnson History

Unusual the thin chinstrap, something I would expect to see on a very early cap, not late WWII or early post WWII.

Thanks Eric, the condition is very good.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture South Wales Borderers Officers SD cap  
    Regards,

Jerry

Very nice cap jerry

?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Hi Bob, indeed Herbert Johnson, the others I have seen have a different logo? This one I have only has the Royal arms and not the POW feathers.

The company have been going a long time. Herbert Johnson History

Unusual the thin chinstrap, something I would expect to see on a very early cap, not late WWII or early post WWII.

Thanks Eric, the condition is very good.
    Jerry,
    It seems as if most WWII era caps, at least those I've seen, were made by Edward Smith, Bates, Gieves, etc. Who knows?
    I got my first ever cap at Herbert Johnson's shop in London, in 1976. It's an officer's, of course, for the Queen's Own Hussars; I still have it.

BobS

Very, very attractive cap. I like it!

Jerry, you always find cool items , especially hats.
    I like it a lot.
    Cheers
    Nuno

Quote by BobS View Post
    Jerry,
    It seems as if most WWII era caps, at least those I've seen, were made by Edward Smith, Bates, Gieves, etc. Who knows?
    I got my first ever cap at Herbert Johnson's shop in London, in 1976. It's an officer's, of course, for the Queen's Own Hussars; I still have it.

BobS
    Hi Bob, can you show the logo on yours?

I have a pre war cap by a different maker that also has the combination of Royal arms and POW feathers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture South Wales Borderers Officers SD cap  
    Regards,

Jerry

I mananged to find some more about the history of the company and they moved from the address on this cap, 38 New Bond Street in 1965 to new premises at 10 old Burlington street until 1979, then moved again a few times until their current premises.

So the cap has to be pre 1965 and as Charles did not become POW until 1969, it would be strange for it to have the POW feathers on it for him so it appears likely it was pre WWII when it would have been for Edward VIII prior to his crowning and abdication as on the other cap I showed in post #9. The Wartime and early post war caps when there was no POW (1937 -1969) have only the Royal crest on them as shown on the cap in post #4 which is pre 1953 and almost certainly dated to 1941. By the late 80's the logo was changed and the POW feathers do reappear, but at one of the newer addresses.

It is possible that the date inscribed in the liner is that of when Wood left the army perhaps, though still somewhat of an enigma I think.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast