Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stripped Officers SD cap

Article about: Arrived today, it had been stripped so I have added a badge and a modified OR's strap until I can get officers examples. The maker was in business since at least the 30's and was still going

Default Stripped Officers SD cap

Arrived today, it had been stripped so I have added a badge and a modified OR's strap until I can get officers examples.

The maker was in business since at least the 30's and was still going into the 60's and beyond. As a bit of useless trivia, the company was owned by the adoptive father of Jon Moss, one time drummer of Culture club and other bands.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stripped Officers SD cap   Stripped Officers SD cap  

Stripped Officers SD cap   Stripped Officers SD cap  

Stripped Officers SD cap   Stripped Officers SD cap  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Re: Stripped Officers SD cap

Another nice hat Jerry, well done!
    Have so far stayed away from hats as I have no idea how to date them.
    All the best
    Rod

Hi Jerry, nice bit of "useless" info, did not know that one. Lez has several shirts in the Countess' grouping made by Alkit.

Hi Rod, that is one of the tricky problems with SD caps. Wartime ones and early 50's are essentially the same.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

I was told that one way to tell wartime against post war was to examine the side chinstrap buttons, as its the royal coat of arms the crown should help to make a decision

Hi Dave, broadly speaking that is correct.

However, a 1944 made cap with Kings Crown buttons is really no different to a 1952 made one as the buttons did not change until 1953 at the earliest.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by davejb View Post
    I was told that one way to tell wartime against post war was to examine the side chinstrap buttons, as its the royal coat of arms the crown should help to make a decision
    For sure, as long as they have not been messed with. This one has Kings crowns, but this other example I posted recently has obviously had it's buttons and badge changed making it impossible to date for manufacture. It know has QEII buttons and badge, but when I look at the interior the badge has been reapplied with the same black thread that the buttons are attached with. It might all be period done or just reapplication of its missing original insignia or a period upgrade from Kings crowns insignia to QEII insignia or an incorrect restoration etc....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stripped Officers SD cap   Stripped Officers SD cap  

Stripped Officers SD cap  
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by plumbob View Post
    Another nice hat Jerry, well done!
    Have so far stayed away from hats as I have no idea how to date them.
    All the best
    Rod
    This other example I posted recently with the green under the peak are pre or early WWII and are the easiest to tell as to when they were made.

Stripped Officers SD cap  
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by davejb View Post
    Also the type & style of the badge might be useful, as long as it has not been messed with, as with this example with Kings crown buttons and wartime plastic GS badge with Kings crown, as shown by this other example I showed recently.

Regards,

Jerry

Thanks folks
    I read you threads with the green under peak and GS badge Jerry earlier, and have took a mental note because they are useful piece’s of information that i never knew, thanks for sharing.
    Was at an auction the other week and there were a couple of British caps and six German visor caps but I stayed clear due to ignorance. I will have to educate my self.

Cheers guys
    Rod
    Also like your Zukerman Jerry.

?

Thanks for the info Ade , but if the button is a staybright it can still be Kings Crown as staybright was introduced from about 1950, and these are pretty rare, obviously a nice pair of brass kings crown would be ideal on a wartime cap

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast