Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US Army/USAAF Visor

Article about: Hi folks, I risked the wrath of storm Dennis today & went to GHQ militaria fair at Farnham maltings (the 1st fair there this year) although attendance was down both traders & footfal

Default US Army/USAAF Visor

Hi folks, I risked the wrath of storm Dennis today & went to GHQ militaria fair at Farnham maltings (the 1st fair there this year) although attendance was down both traders & footfall there were still some quality items to be had. One of the items I came away with was this rather nice US officers Visor cap. Made by "The Gano-Downs Co" of Denver Colorado it is their "Feather Weight" model, interestingly beneath the sweat band the head band is constructed of woven straw to allow air flow thus keeping the wearer cool. Question is from what time period does this Visor come from, my guess 40's 50's no dates internally as I believe its a private purchase item. thanks in advance gents and I look forward to your thoughts, Regards Paul

US Army/USAAF Visor

US Army/USAAF Visor

US Army/USAAF Visor

US Army/USAAF Visor

US Army/USAAF Visor

US Army/USAAF Visor

?

I can not help with dating it.
    I would say WW2, But not an expert at dating these.
    It sure is a beautiful example of a crusher
    Excellent pick up.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

After a quick look.
    I'll say WW2 . Here is the store that it was purchased at. 1920-1940?
    CONTENTdm

Semper Fi
    Phil

Thanks for that Phil, I've been searching the net for further information on Gano-Downs when it closed down etc but unfortunately there doesn't appear to be much info out there, Regards the visor its not a "crusher" in the true sense of the word like my Bancroft Flighter but it sure is a quality piece and I'm chuffed to have picked it up. On further investigation "under the hood" I found the United hatters, cap & Millinery union logo, a size 7 label and a name that looks some thing like J.B.Traylor. Thanks again for your interest Phil, kind regards ,Paul

US Army/USAAF Visor

US Army/USAAF Visor

Great visor deffo WW2 with a very nice eagle. One of the clues to rough dating is via the eagle. I'm far from being an expert.
    The Official Cap Eagle Variant Thread - ARMY - U.S. Militaria Forum

MAP
    ?

J.B Traylor (or I think Maylor) is probably the maker of the leather sweatband.

Did you check out the back of the eagle for any maker marks?

I would also think the fibrous material is probably wicker. Not straw. But I'm no pro as to what to call it.

Certainly a beautiful visor!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks Ren'e , lots of lovely eagles to look through when I get home from work (beats painting the doors)
    Thanks Michael , I checked the back of the eagle for makers marks but unfortunately there aren't any. I see now in the pinned thread that stonemint calls this type of head band construction lacquered cane. Thanks again for your help guys ,Kind regards ,Paul

A good friend of mine just scored this.

It is a CBI true crusher made by a tailor shop in Karachi.
    The wear is period, and the fabric is a very lightweight cotton-silk blend.
    What makes it truly special is the fact that the eagle is direct-embroidered (ie, sewn directly to the cap after it was constructed).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Army/USAAF Visor   US Army/USAAF Visor  

“Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

After checking through the US militaria thread that Ren'e posted I found the Eagle on my Cap, It is made by NS Meyer New York and has a tiny makers mark on the back that ( almost indecipherably ) says Meyer Metal which apparently dates the badge to pre WW2! Thanks again Folks for the help, Regards Paul

US Army/USAAF Visor

?

Great find and its excellent that this has a Pre WW2 maker mark on it.

Good deal , Now you know

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast