Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

US Navy Donald Duck

Article about: Found this while cleaning out my Mom's house today. Does anyone have any idea on the era? The sweatband is leather (but dry). The cap is wool. Size 7. Otherwise no other markings. Been store

MAP
    ?

Default US Navy Donald Duck

Found this while cleaning out my Mom's house today.

Does anyone have any idea on the era?

The sweatband is leather (but dry). The cap is wool. Size 7. Otherwise no other markings.

Been stored down a musty basement for 40+ years probably. So needs a light cleaning to remove some mildew and dust. But otherwise it is in unworn condition.

US Navy Donald Duck

US Navy Donald Duck

US Navy Donald Duck

US Navy Donald Duck
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Nice one Michael.
    I guess you got the Militaria collecing bug from you Mom's side.
    Anybody in the family serve in the Navy??

AARRGGUUHH Here ya go Matie. It looks like they were worn up until April 1st 1963,
    But putting the name of the ship you were on ended in January 1941.

I can't help you with the dating to this swab jockey cover.

Sailors Liked the "Flat Hat" and Wore It for 111 Years | Defense Media Network

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Thanks Phil.

This hat was stuffed away with a dozen or so other hats she probably picked up at estate sales she worked out.

A few of my uncle's (and even a bronze star winning Aunt) fought in WW2 but all in the army or USAAF. And I know on my Mom's side one or two fought in the civil war and either the Spanish/American war or Philippine Insurrection in the early 1900's. They were German. When they came to the US in the 1860's they almost immediately got drafted into the Union Army. One day I'll pay a genealogist to research it all. My father's side were ethic Greek refugees fleeing Turkey during the genocide in the 1920's

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

The leather sweatband looks very clean. It doesn't look stained.
    Are there any marking under it?

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    The leather sweatband looks very clean. It doesn't look stained.
    Are there any marking under it?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    The cap is unworn. Brand new. But the leather is dry so can't peek behind it unfortunately
    Last edited by MAP; 05-11-2020 at 12:36 AM. Reason: typo

?

Michael I have been thinking and looking for more info about your Flat Hat and was digging on USMF and found this thread.

I know you said the sweatband was dry and can't peek, But

Navy Hat (WWII??) - HEADGEAR [REF] USN - U.S. Militaria Forum

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Great info and thanks for going the extra mile Phil.

I stuck my fingers between the leather and the cap and didn't feel a label so I guess it is post war. And the sweat shield looks plastic. So probably post war. Either way....Good to know.

Thanks!

?

Miles to go before I sleep!!!
    Your quite welcome.
    I greatly appreciate the B-14.
    I always thought those Navy hats were cool with the ship's name or like your that say US Navy.
    I'm actually waiting on the uniforms of my Great Uncle who served on the USS Kaskaskia during WW2 and that got me interested in Navy uniforms. I visited him in the Old Veterans Home in Biloxi Mississippi when I was there.
    Just waiting till this situation is over before my cousin mails them to me.

Stay Safe!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

No payback needed. I still enjoy it as i have photos of the B 14 on my desk top that I look at. Those bullion patches are just beautiful to look at

With luck this will be over and you will get those uniforms soon. Looking forward to seeing them

Quote by MAP View Post
    Great info and thanks for going the extra mile Phil.

I stuck my fingers between the leather and the cap and didn't feel a label so I guess it is post war. And the sweat shield looks plastic. So probably post war. Either way....Good to know.

Thanks!
    Could be stamped, but the sweat shield is the clue.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast