Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US Visor - USAAF Private Purchase? - Finchley Est. 5th Ave

Article about: I have started a modest collection of US service Visors and this one i picked up as it resembled the visor my grandfather wore in some period photos of him in WW2. He was a B-29 pilot that m

Default US Visor - USAAF Private Purchase? - Finchley Est. 5th Ave

I have started a modest collection of US service Visors and this one i picked up as it resembled the visor my grandfather wore in some period photos of him in WW2. He was a B-29 pilot that made the journey from the US to India (and forward bases in China), then finally onto Tinian Island.

This hat caught my eye because it appeared to be a nice example to my untrained eye. But in all honesty, i am not even sure if its a true time period piece. My research tells me that the Finchley Est. closed down in the late 50's or early 60's. From what i can tell, they sold (not sure they made them though) fedoras and top hats from the 20's till closing. This is the only example of a private purchase military cap i have been able to find.

anyhow, enjoy and if you know more about it, i would love to hear it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Visor - USAAF Private Purchase? - Finchley Est. 5th Ave   US Visor - USAAF Private Purchase? - Finchley Est. 5th Ave  

US Visor - USAAF Private Purchase? - Finchley Est. 5th Ave   US Visor - USAAF Private Purchase? - Finchley Est. 5th Ave  

US Visor - USAAF Private Purchase? - Finchley Est. 5th Ave   US Visor - USAAF Private Purchase? - Finchley Est. 5th Ave  

US Visor - USAAF Private Purchase? - Finchley Est. 5th Ave  

?

I like it and think it get's a for being a ww2 period US officers visor.

Looks good with the AAF patches.
    Are those his service patches?

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

I would agree with Phil. Looks like a crusher style brim as well but others can correct me on that.

Nice example! Congrats!

Mine has the wire stiffener in as well but when removed it has the quasi crusher look to it.

US Crusher Visor - Dunlap Superior

The Bancroft visors however were the true crushers. (again if I remember correctly)
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    I like it and think it get's a for being a ww2 period US officers visor.

Looks good with the AAF patches.
    Are those his service patches?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Thank you.

The bullion patch was his, the other two i picked up later. Unfortunately, his first wife destroyed his uniforms from WW2 after he informed her he wanted a divorce. Luckily I do have his wings, his 2nd and 1st Lt bars from ww2 and his Capt. bars, medals, hat eagle, etc. from his USAF days.

He was with the 20th AF, 462nd Bombardment Group, 769th Bombardment Squadron. He is the one with the red dot in the attached.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Visor - USAAF Private Purchase? - Finchley Est. 5th Ave  

Quote by MAP View Post
    I would agree with Phil. Looks like a crusher style brim as well but others can correct me on that.

Nice example! Congrats!

Mine has the wire stiffener in as well but when removed it has the quasi crusher look to it.

US Crusher Visor - Dunlap Superior

The Bancroft visors however were the true crushers. (again if I remember correctly)
    Thank you Map.

That is a beautiful example of a crusher. I too had noticed the brim of mine seemed to be similar to crusher types.

I noticed that yours has the same type of interior as mine and i was wondering if you can tell me what the clear (and i hate to say plastic because it doesn't feel like plastic) material actually is, the sweat shield. i am still trying to learn terminology, but also wanting to learn what these are made of. This US visor is so much nicer than the others i have (US military from the 60's to today).

MAP
    ?

Not being a chemical engineer lol I don't really know exactly what the sweat sheild is made of. It appears to be a vinyl type material but not sure when that was invented

Again, a great pick up. Congrats

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

When you mentioned Tinian in your first post. I knew B-29's had to be involved in this story, considering that is where the Enola Gay and Bockscar took off from.

First wives can be a real bitch sometimes. I know!! Mine went after my true loves. My firearms!!LOL.

I'm glad to hear you have his wings and medals and rank insignia.
    That is a great pic you have of him in front of the B-29. That nose art is awesome.
    I wonder who the Swab Jockey(Navy guy) is in the pic....

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

When you mentioned Tinian in your first post. I knew B-29's had to be involved in this story, considering that is where the Enola Gay and Bockscar took off from.

First wives can be a real bitch sometimes. I know!! Mine went after my true loves. My firearms!!LOL.

That is a great pic you have of him in front of the B-29. That nose art is awesome.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Nothing better than Nose Art (and pin ups)....one day I want to get some nice lithographs of these

Semper Fi
    Phil
    The "Swab Jockey" is actually the Aircraft Commander. I don't recall the AC's name, its on the back of that pictures, its framed now in my office, but i do recall my grandfather saying he had served in Europe as a bomber pilot and was transferred to B-29's as the command pilot. The hat he is wearing has bombs painted on it. One for each of his missions.

Quote by MAP View Post
    Nothing better than Nose Art (and pin ups)....one day I want to get some nice lithographs of these
    the girl on the plane is actually a Vargas Girl.

US Visor - USAAF Private Purchase? - Finchley Est. 5th AveUS Visor - USAAF Private Purchase? - Finchley Est. 5th Ave

I have been doing a lot of research on his plane over the years as i have a guy that i plan to hire to build the plane (one of those desk top models from wood). I just have to decide if i want it as they were painted in india or in Tinian.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast