Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Vintage of this USN Officers Khaki Peaked Cap

Article about: This USN Officers Khaki Peaked cap was a swap meet find my son and I stumbled across a few months back. I knew it was pieced together but the cover itself seemed to be well worth the few buc

Default Vintage of this USN Officers Khaki Peaked Cap

This USN Officers Khaki Peaked cap was a swap meet find my son and I stumbled across a few months back. I knew it was pieced together but the cover itself seemed to be well worth the few bucks we paid for it. Now, it’s time to figure out exactly what it is.

The stretch band (removed) is junk and I believe for a CPO cap badge, I will just toss this in the trash. The cap has a label inside indicating it was made by Boston Uniform Co. of Charlestown, Mass. I called Boston Uniform and they informed me that this cap had to be 1960 vintage or earlier as they moved from the Charlestown location at that time. They also informed me that post 1960 they did away with the whicker framing. Other than that, they could not lend any help in dating this cap.

No other markings can be found. Boston Uniform did make uniforms for the Navy but the person I spoke was not knowledgeable in this area.

Do the photos provide any clues as to what period this cap may have been made to anyone?

I am not going to assume the cap badge is correct for the period and if I do manage to determine the vintage of this cap, I will obtain the appropriate badge and stretch band.

We also picked up a pretty clean USMC Enlisted Service Cover, for another few bucks. It’s missing the chin strap and screws but they are pretty easy to come by so it was another great deal.

Thanks,

Russ & Son

Default Re: Vintage of this USN Officers Khaki Peaked Cap

The chin strap on your visor seems similar to the one on my Korean era pilots visor????? Dave H
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vintage of this USN Officers Khaki Peaked Cap  

It sure does Dave.....

I've been browsing through photos, mostly from Ebay listing and, judging from the cap stitching anyway, I'd guess my cap to be post WWII and we know it is made 1960 or earlier, so the window is getting smaller and possible small enough to identify the correct streach band. The inside cap whicker frame and inside leather bands (not sure what the correct term for this is) looks exactly like a couple of WWII examples I've come across, but as I said, the cap stitching looks quite different than WWII examples. Not to many Korea era examples floating around, but I'm still looking.

The cap badge is surely incorrect as it looks pretty modern, post 1980's anyway, but I'll get to figuring that out next!

Thanks for the input.

Russ

Russ, I believe your cap badge is an early piece due to the double threaded attachment posts on reverse. I have about (7) with the double posts and I believe they are WW 2 era,..Wait for the experts on badges,maybe we both will find out...........Dave H

Again Dave, thanks for the input and I'll keep my eyes and ears open on this. Would be cool if it was WW2 era, even if the cap is not!

Thanks again,

Russ