Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Welsh Guards Cap

Article about: by BobS Welsh Guards officer's dress forage cap on sale now, at Ebay UK. Item # 171300959707. BobS Many Thanks, What would you say is a reasonable price to pay for it? I see its very cheap a

?

Default Welsh Guards Cap

Hello,
    I'm new to the forum and was wondering if I could get some advice.
    My grandfather, a former Welsh Guards Officer (from mid war to early 50s I believe), passed away last year leaving a substantial collection of his uniforms and equipment. However, his forage cap is missing and presumed sold.
    We would like to source a new cap to display with his uniform, but I am having great trouble in finding one. Does anybody know of anywhere I could look to find one at a reasonable price? I would preferably like to spend between £50 to £75.
    I'm not a collector or a militaria expert so I have no real idea of value or sources.
    Any advice would be most welcome.
    Many Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

strictly speaking you should post this in the wanted section at the bottom of the forum in the classifieds section, but as your new, no problem.

When you say a forage cap, do you mean a forage cap which most people these days call a dress cap, or do you mean an SD cap or a side cap or a coloured side cap, more properly called a Field service cap? the latter two were probably not worn by the Welsh Guards as they tended to only wear the Forage cap and Service Dress cap.

WWII period caps for the Welsh Guards are not commonly seen for sale and as I mentioned above which type of cap you are after would also affect finding one and how much it would cost you. The modern version of the forage cap or rather incorrectly called dress cap are commonly seen on ebay, but the SD cap and any period caps will be hard to find. I can't think of any of either type from that period that I know of for sale at this time or have seen any recently for sale.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Quote by Anon View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

strictly speaking you should post this in the wanted section at the bottom of the forum in the classifieds section, but as your new, no problem.

When you say a forage cap, do you mean a forage cap which most people these days call a dress cap, or do you mean an SD cap or a side cap or a coloured side cap, more properly called a Field service cap? the latter two were probably not worn by the Welsh Guards as they tended to only wear the Forage cap and Service Dress cap.

WWII period caps for the Welsh Guards are not commonly seen for sale and as I mentioned above which type of cap you are after would also affect finding one and how much it would cost you. The modern version of the forage cap or rather incorrectly called dress cap are commonly seen on ebay, but the SD cap and any period caps will be hard to find. I can't think of any of either type from that period that I know of for sale at this time or have seen any recently for sale.
    By forage cap I meant the No1 'dress cap'.
    Era is not particularly important- I would happily buy a more modern cap.
    I've had a browse on ebay to no avail.

Quote by wgg20 View Post
    By forage cap I meant the No1 'dress cap'.
    Era is not particularly important- I would happily buy a more modern cap.
    I've had a browse on ebay to no avail.
    You see plenty of OR's no.1's on the bay, but the officers example not and you might have to wait a while to find one. If I notice any for sale I'll let you know.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Quote by Anon View Post
    You see plenty of OR's no.1's on the bay, but the officers example not and you might have to wait a while to find one. If I notice any for sale I'll let you know.
    Many Thanks.
    In the meantime, is there anywhere/anybody else that I could look/ask?

Quote by wgg20 View Post
    Many Thanks.
    In the meantime, is there anywhere/anybody else that I could look/ask?
    No where springs to mind, sorry.

A member here has one in his collection, but I doubt he wants to part with it. He will probably notice this thread and perhaps might know of a source and comment.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Guards officer's no.1 dress caps do not show up that often for sale, but you WILL see them. That's how I finally got all five Foot Guards officer's caps, but it took me years.
    Ebay UK is a good source; make sure you follow the seller "Hogspear". They update every Friday, and often have dress caps for sale. I have bought probably 10 caps from them, and have always been satisfied.
    The UK dealer Q & C Militaria has a website, and he has a Welsh Guards officer's undress blue uniform for sale, including a cap, for 175 pounds. Perhaps he may sell just the cap.
    If I see a WG officer's cap, I'll let you know ASAP.

BobS

?

Quote by BobS View Post
    Guards officer's no.1 dress caps do not show up that often for sale, but you WILL see them. That's how I finally got all five Foot Guards officer's caps, but it took me years.
    Ebay UK is a good source; make sure you follow the seller "Hogspear". They update every Friday, and often have dress caps for sale. I have bought probably 10 caps from them, and have always been satisfied.
    The UK dealer Q & C Militaria has a website, and he has a Welsh Guards officer's undress blue uniform for sale, including a cap, for 175 pounds. Perhaps he may sell just the cap.
    If I see a WG officer's cap, I'll let you know ASAP.

BobS
    Thank you very much.
    I've found the offerings of Q & C Militaria; assuming he won't sell me just the cap, how much do you think the belt and tunic would go for on Ebay?

?

Quote by wgg20 View Post
    Thank you very much.
    I've found the offerings of Q & C Militaria; assuming he won't sell me just the cap, how much do you think the belt and tunic would go for on Ebay?
    I believe his price for the whole ensemble is reasonable. On Ebay, I would estimate the tunic & Sam Browne belt may go for 100-125 pounds. Just a guess, really, as, of course, most folks want the full dress scarlet tunic. All that dark blue can look rather bland!
    I believe that you will find a cap that you like; it will likely just take some time.

BobS

?

Welsh Guards officer's dress forage cap on sale now, at Ebay UK. Item # 171300959707.

BobS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast