Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

What is this headgear?

Article about: Hi all, hope everyone's well. Picked this hat up today, i understand the cap badge and hackle does not go with the hat. Can anyone tell me more about this type of headgear and possibly the e

Default What is this headgear?

Hi all, hope everyone's well.

Picked this hat up today, i understand the cap badge and hackle does not go with the hat. Can anyone tell me more about this type of headgear and possibly the era?

Thank you all!

Vicky

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What is this headgear?   What is this headgear?  

Default Re: What is this headgear?

Balmoral Bonnet is the name for this type of cap, but it is also known as the Tam O'shanter.

This one is post WW2 issue.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Cheers Ade, helpful as always

I never knew it was called a Balmoral Bonnet, I always thought it was just a Tam. Always learning

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    I never knew it was called a Balmoral Bonnet, I always thought it was just a Tam. Always learning
    You must have missed this thread towards the bottom of this page Andy.
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/USA-b...al-cap-229479/

The red hackle is usually for the Black Watch, so the badge at least is wrong, though I would have to look up the tartan to see which it is.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Great, so all i need now is a post war Black Watch Cap badge and it will be a nice complete piece.

?

Quote by edelweiss123 View Post
    Great, so all i need now is a post war Black Watch Cap badge and it will be a nice complete piece.
    The cap badge appears to be for the Suffolk Regt., so not correct for this balmoral. Also, the badge backing is incorrect for the Black Watch, as they did not wear a cap badge on the balmoral; for them, the Red Hackle alone would suffice. I believe the hackle is wrong here, and the balmoral is for another Scottish regiment.

BobS