Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

White painted commonwealth wolseley pattern pith helmet.

Article about: I picked this one up today for not a lot of money, but I am not certain as to when it dates from, though post WWII seems a possibility. It has a narrow band and sadly the liner/sweat band ha

Default White painted commonwealth wolseley pattern pith helmet.

I picked this one up today for not a lot of money, but I am not certain as to when it dates from, though post WWII seems a possibility. It has a narrow band and sadly the liner/sweat band has been replaced with some leather, so there are no ink or impressed stamps. The inner dome is a pale off-white colour, that might have been light tan originally, though it is hard to be certain. It has the cloth edging trim usually seen on OR's WD issued examples and has two holes in the front where a badge was attached at some time during it's history.

Any thoughts or opinions welcomed.

Regards,

Jerry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture White painted commonwealth wolseley pattern pith helmet.   White painted commonwealth wolseley pattern pith helmet.  

White painted commonwealth wolseley pattern pith helmet.   White painted commonwealth wolseley pattern pith helmet.  

White painted commonwealth wolseley pattern pith helmet.  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Re: White painted commonwealth wolseley pattern pith helmet.

I am certain that it is post war, but does anyone else have an opinion or anything to add?

Thanks
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Bond View Post
    I am certain that it is post war, but does anyone else have an opinion or anything to add?

Thanks
    As an educated guess, I would say it's probably a Royal Marines helmet, dating anywhere from the 1940s to the 1980s. Their bandsmen wear this type with a Home Service helmet-type plate on the front.

Rob

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    As an educated guess, I would say it's probably a Royal Marines helmet, dating anywhere from the 1940s to the 1980s. Their bandsmen wear this type with a Home Service helmet-type plate on the front.

Rob
    Royal Marines is my thought.
    Regards,

Jerry

Mine as well!!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Royal marine pith helmets have a ball finial though...perhaps this has been replaced / lost

Quote by helldunkle View Post
    Royal marine pith helmets have a ball finial though...perhaps this has been replaced / lost
    Hi and thanks for posting.

For certain it should have and as you say maybe it was switched for a plain one, but if it still had one I would then be calling it a RM pith and not asking the question. I think it should also have a metal chinstrap if it was an RM bandsmans pith, but I'm not sure on these types. I'll just have to do some more research. MP's was my other guess.
    Regards,

Jerry

Here are some pictures of a WW11 wolseley and a modern Royal marine wolseley. Yours looks much like the Royal marine one, is there a Royal marine band member that doesn't have the ball finial on top of his helmet?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture White painted commonwealth wolseley pattern pith helmet.  
    Attached Images Attached Images White painted commonwealth wolseley pattern pith helmet.  White painted commonwealth wolseley pattern pith helmet.  White painted commonwealth wolseley pattern pith helmet. 

Very nice, I have a 42 dated example same as the one you posted with the silver foil lining. It is very likely that the Bandsman kept his ball finial, badge and chinstrap, though why not keep all of it. Probably going to be hard to replace them, if I can find a set or each individually.

Thanks for showing the bandsmans pith.
    Regards,

Jerry