Womens services cap badges

Article about: Good afternoon gents, I thought I might start a new subject thread for my 1000th post and I couldn't find this subject in particular (sorry if there is one, maybe we might amalgamate if appr

Default Womens services cap badges

Good afternoon gents,

I thought I might start a new subject thread for my 1000th post and I couldn't find this subject in particular (sorry if there is one, maybe we might amalgamate if appropriate) so here goes;

Like many collections of British cap badges mine began with infantry of the line, cavalry, yeomanry etc etc and I admit I overlooked the ladies in uniform to an extent despite serving alongside many during my career in green.

However, I have recently gone a long way to redressing the imbalance and have found that there are more than enough womens badges to represent as a sub-section in my collection and wondered if it might be useful to start a general discussion on the different badges and the services they represent over the relatively short evolution (100 years really) to the present day where the girls are mostly integrated with their male colleagues. I am sure many collectors are / have been at the same point in their collecting so please show the badges you have and duplication is not to be avoided, the more the merrier.

In no particular time order here is one to start, a rececent acquisition and hastily snapped here with a hand held camera (better pics with the next ones).

Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps (1918 - 1920) followed on from The Womens Army Auxiliary Corps (1917 - 1918) and this is a light bronze (as opposed to brass) example in very good condition;

Regards

Mark

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QMAAC.obv.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	247.2 KB 
ID:	1066380Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QMAAC.rev.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	221.3 KB 
ID:	1066381Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QMAAC.mm.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	1066379

More to follow so let's see what other members have to show.

PS If anybody can point me in the direction of a decent Kings Crown QARANC badge I should be grateful.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

An interesting subject but one I cannot contribute to except for this Womans Land Army badge which I think was worn as botha cap badge or lapel/uniform badge.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WLA front.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	305.0 KB 
ID:	1066591   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WLA rear.jpg 
Size:	240.4 KB 
ID:	1066592  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks Jerry, yes it is a subject that I think has to be considered in the round by anyone collecting cap badges, general militaria or just intereseted in the war time history of the nation.

As I say, it is something I admit to not paying as much attention to as an affirmed militaria enthusist maybe should.

Of course the WLA was stricly a civilian organisation but inextricably linked to the war effort and the mobilisation of an early "people power".

Initially raised during WWI (1917 -19) it was disbanded after the war. At that time they didn't have a cap badge but many wore a lapel badge of The Board of Agriculture in their hats which is probably where the idea of a common cap / lapel badge comes from.

In 1939 the WLA was resurected initially with volunteers but later with conscripts filling the number.

The badge you show is I believe the pin back type worn on the breast of the green jersey and mine below is the cap badge of exactly the same size and pattern but with lugs / loops for a split pin instead of the brooch pin.

Thanks for your contribution.

Regards

Mark

Name:	WLA.obv.jpg 
Size:	217.0 KB 
ID:	1066638Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WLA.rev.jpg 
Size:	195.1 KB 
ID:	1066639
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Default Womens Auxilliary Army Corps (WAAC)

This one is the predecessor to the badge at the top of the thread and was in use 1917 -18.

The WAAC was really the start of women in the military though their roles were very limited compared to today.

The WAAC did not initially use military ranks. Instead of officers and NCOs there were; controllers, administrators and forewomen much like in the civilian work plcae.

This badge is also of a bronze metal rather than brass and is also of a relitively high quality compared to later badges;

Regards

MarkClick image for larger version. 

Name:	WAAC.obv.jpg 
Size:	205.7 KB 
ID:	1066640Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WAAC.rev.jpg 
Size:	247.2 KB 
ID:	1066641
    Last edited by Watchdog; 04-17-2017 at 03:11 PM. Reason: typo

Default Auxilliary Territorial Service (ATS)

The ATS existed from 090938 to 010249 when it became part of the WRAC (Womens Royal Army Corps).

Around 300 ATS served with the BEF in France and were amongst the last to be evacuated.

A developing role during WWII was in the anti aircraft searchlight batteries like the Wehrmacht Flakhilerinen.

Our own Princess Elizabeth (HM Queen EIIR) served in the ATS as Lt Elizabeth Windsor and was a driver/mechanic!

This is the standard other ranks brass version.

Regards

Mark

Name:	ATS.obv.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	220.6 KB 
ID:	1068764Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATS.rev.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	206.3 KB 
ID:	1068765
    Last edited by Watchdog; 04-24-2017 at 08:20 PM. Reason: picture order