Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

WW2 British Slouch / Bush hats

Article about: Hi everyone, I hope you all had a good Christmas and best wishes for 2014! This topic has probably been covered before and I am sorry if it is boring for some of you or repeating. I was just

Quote by Ocad View Post
    Jerry what makes it postwar? The maker is Vero and I will see who made the poppers.

Nothing concrete, more a first impression. I don't know when Vero stopped making slouch hats. Did you get any more pics yet Oli?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I have found it for sale. The price is good, but I think it is a private purchase example same as the other they have by the same maker. The moth holes are a bit severe, but it would display well. The seller strikes me as playing a bit fast and loose with some of their items, so perhaps best to walk away from this one.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

haha! yes indeed. But it is like the Bay you need to know what you are after and have a but of research or knowledge... so with Slouch hats I am in unchartered territory. yes the mothing is a problem but I would be Ok with it, its the pugaree that looks strange to me. If the poppers are French then that would make it postwar? Did Newey also make postwar

It might be inter wars, Vero made them from early on and sold them to the general public. I am not used to seeing them without WD arrows and dates on them for issue items. The question is when and by whom was the flash added to it. Vero used French made poppers on their early examples, though not got any more detail on that.
    Regards,

Jerry

I have a 42 dated WD marked example with the same type of pug band. Like you I am still learning on these as not much info is out there.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British Slouch / Bush hats   WW2 British Slouch / Bush hats  

WW2 British Slouch / Bush hats   WW2 British Slouch / Bush hats  

Regards,

Jerry

A close up of the pug band from the 42 dated WD marked example, though after another closer look it is not the same as the Vero example. Variations in these is probably not a problem, as I have another with a thin band similar to this but it is a bit different and a 52 dated example is again thin and similar but not the same.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British Slouch / Bush hats   WW2 British Slouch / Bush hats  

Regards,

Jerry

Picked this 1942 dated one up on the fea market today

?

Hi Chaps
    This example I purchased about 18 months ago as the medal dealer wanted to split the lot a nice Kings own confirmed Chindit chap pics on my phone with his details and the whole group . Its 1942 dated .

Here is a few pics of my bush hat's both are WWII examples ! while I have the beret create out

steve

CambraiComrade
    ?

Default My Slouch Hat

Hello chaps,

I'm rather new to this forum but wanted to show off my Slouch hat too. It's an 11th Army Slouch hat that interestingly pins up on the right side rather than the left. It has a scarlet band round the top of the pugaree but this is hard to see (could this make it RAMC?). It also has lost its liner and chinstrap but still has the hooks for one. I will be modifying it to a REME, 81st West African division slouch hat. My only question is where to put the insignia? and what insignia to put on? I have a div patch and a thin REME arm of service however the AofM I might put on my bush jacket.

Many thanks for any replies,

William E.J Rowland

New REME pick up from Today

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast