Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

WW2 British Slouch / Bush hats

Article about: Hi everyone, I hope you all had a good Christmas and best wishes for 2014! This topic has probably been covered before and I am sorry if it is boring for some of you or repeating. I was just

?

Default WW2 British Slouch / Bush hats

Hi everyone,

I hope you all had a good Christmas and best wishes for 2014!
    This topic has probably been covered before and I am sorry if it is boring for some of you or repeating.
    I was just wondering about British slouch hats. it seems they came in many varieties.

With brown metal vents
    With no metal vents just holes in the felt.
    With 2 air vents
    With 5 air vents
    With pug.
    With band.
    with brim rim
    Without brim rim

Is there anyway to date these caps more precisely?
    I have seen a slouch cap without a brim rim, and no air vents, unfortunately its missing its sweatband (which seems common from what I can see). Would this indicate wartime?

All the best,

Oli

Oli,

from what what you describe, it might be a Gurkha hat, though hard to say without pics, though often it will have signs of two being sewn together if it is a Gurkha hat. Does it have no vent holes at all or just the type without metal fittings?

Dating is probably impossible without a liner and no vent holes.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Hi Jerry,

I don't think its a Gurka hat. It also does have air vents but with no metalwork.
    It looks similar to this one at the IWM, but without these patches.
    Slouch hat 2nd Royal Norfolk 2nd Infantry Division (UNI 13846)

Oli

Hi Oli,

I have seen them without metal vents, but can't remember where, so I can't help you. I don't think the British versions have been as well studied as the Aussie examples, which have a set of known features indicative of date even when the sweatband is missing.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Jerry, were all Gurka hat two stuck together?

Quote by Ocad View Post
    Jerry, were all Gurka hat two stuck together?
    As far as I am aware the early versions were two slouch hats sewn together and the later versions were not, being of a slightly different shape and detail and of a thicker stiffer fabric.
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Ocad View Post
    Hi Jerry,

I don't think its a Gurka hat. It also does have air vents but with no metalwork.
    It looks similar to this one at the IWM, but without these patches.
    Slouch hat 2nd Royal Norfolk 2nd Infantry Division (UNI 13846)

Oli

Hi, indeed there are many different types of British Slouch hats, i have three variations.
    The precise example you have shown had its metalwork removed from the vent holes.
    I have one of these in my collection and the vent holes have them.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    As far as I am aware the early versions were two slouch hats sewn together and the later versions were not, being of a slightly different shape and detail and of a thicker stiffer fabric.
    This is a postwar Gurkha Slouch hat i have in my collection
    Jerry helped on the identification of this one.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British Slouch / Bush hats   WW2 British Slouch / Bush hats  

WW2 British Slouch / Bush hats  

?

Great looking cap. I see the airvents are different to earlier ones, is that right?
    From what I have seen in ww2 photos Gurkhas usually didn't put the flap up..,?

Regarding the chinstrap, was the short length of the chinstrap on the left side. Also was the flap always on the left side.

?

Hi all,

I just want to share with you my latest addition to the collection, (and coincidently first for me). What I believe to be a 7th Battalion,Worcestershire Regiment slouch hat. The hat is nearly identical to one in a 1945 photo on the Worcestershire Regiment website. The website also has an Officer's account from Tobruk in 1942, stating that some members of the 1st Battalion, also wore such a hat with emerald grass green patch.

You can see more on my website here.

The Gurkha Rifles also wore a green diamond pugaree patch but this was worn on the right side. It is interesting to note that the shade of green used by the WR varied, (can be seen on my coloured FS caps as well as here (where the seller's coloured FS cap also was a different shade of green. A total of 5 different shades of green!

iWW2 British Slouch / Bush hatsWW2 British Slouch / Bush hats

Any thoughts are welcome.
    Best wishes,

Oli

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast