Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 British Slouch hat?

Article about: Hello all you British experts! I am making a rare excursion over to the side of the forum to ask the question,"is this slouch hat WW2 period and is it a REME flash to the side of it?The

Default WW2 British Slouch hat?

Hello all you British experts! I am making a rare excursion over to the side of the forum to ask the question,"is this slouch hat WW2 period and is it a REME flash to the side of it?The hat itself has had the leather band removed,so I cannot determine a date or manufacturer. That said there is a war department arrow printed into the felt but again the date underneath that is completely gone!!I think this may be an Austrailian made hat as the stud/popper is marked CARR,AUST.I have noticed that most British made wartime slouch hats do not have a "band/edgeing" around the brim,but if it's Aussie that may explain that? P.S, I only paid £15.00. Any opinions would be greatly apprieciated,thanks in advance, Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British Slouch hat?   WW2 British Slouch hat?  

WW2 British Slouch hat?  

Default Re: WW2 British Slouch hat?

Looks like you got a bargain there mate, it is an Aussie version and going by the brown grommet/vents it is probably a war time issue and if it is that is very cheap. Best wait for the Aussies to offer their opinions, but whatever date it is £15 is a bargain.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi, for that price, i would not worry. It was a great investment.
    I yet to have seen a war department arrow on the felt of a slouch. But for the design of the hat, it may be a private purchase example.
    There were many different models made and i do agree with you, it seems Australian made.
    Can you post couple more photos? One from the front and another from the top?

AIF
    ?

Nice slouchy mate!! It is what is what is known as a transitional slouch hat and would date from early 1942

You've done very well indeed for that price, well done mate, it's a beauty!

Thank you gentlmen,thats great news to hear!! When i get back from work tonight i will take a couple more pictures and one of the war dept stamp. Leon.

?

Considering a Aussie slouchie with pug are, chin strap and colour patch can reach 600 bucks! Nice pick up

Nice pickup Leon! ...... next we're gonna have to teach you to say 'struth, cobba, maaaaaaaate & train you to lower the temperature of your beer!

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Here are a few extra pictures(as requested),one of the war dept stamp on the felt and one of the chinstrap that came with it. I think that I will now go off down the end of the garden now wearing the slouchie,with a nice cool lager in hand and fish for some yabbies'!!!! Thanks chaps for all your help. Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British Slouch hat?   WW2 British Slouch hat?  

WW2 British Slouch hat?  

Assuming it was British used, the flash is for the REME.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.