Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Gordon Highlanders Tam o Shanter Queries

Article about: Afternoon folks, Picked this up from an auction house in Truro. Classic example of a second war ToS, includes a service number to the interior (photographed yet rather faint) which i've cros

Default WW2 Gordon Highlanders Tam o Shanter Queries

Afternoon folks,

Picked this up from an auction house in Truro. Classic example of a second war ToS, includes a service number to the interior (photographed yet rather faint) which i've cross referenced as Gordons. Unfortuntely no stamps to indicate a specific date.

Ever so slightly concerned about the tartan backing and the badge as being original to the piece. This tartan is not crossing diagonally as is the norm, not sure how big a red flag this is.

Would appreciate any opinions and thoughts.

Cheers,

Spook
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Gordon Highlanders Tam o Shanter Queries   WW2 Gordon Highlanders Tam o Shanter Queries  

WW2 Gordon Highlanders Tam o Shanter Queries   WW2 Gordon Highlanders Tam o Shanter Queries  

Looks a good example, but the badge clips at the least are replaced which might cast doubts on the originality of the patch and badge to it.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

The yellow stripes should be diagonal and not a cross

?

Not a hard and fast thing... although technically incorrect.
    I have seen the same discrepancy in Seaforths headgear (both of which appeared to be original).

Though, as Jerry notes, the replacement pins indicate some degree of tampering...

Bob

These are interesting hats. They were supplied to the New Zealand Division in 1943/44 and used in Italy. From those NZ one's I've seen, the maker was always a firm in Glasgow.

Thanks for the opinions. I had doubts about the originality of the badge and tartan backing to the tam itself, still worth keeping a hold of I'd say. Yes Anderson the Glasgow maker is relatively common for many of the British/Commonwealth issue tams, however i've also seen Canadian and South African (for the Transvaal Scottish) produced tams.

Spook.

Quote by Kohima View Post
    Not a hard and fast thing... although technically incorrect.
    I have seen the same discrepancy in Seaforths headgear (both of which appeared to be original).

Though, as Jerry notes, the replacement pins indicate some degree of tampering...

Bob
    With Seaforth tartan on a TOS you must be careful that it’s not infant an HLI TOS, both regiments wore MacKenzie Tartan, the Seaforth with an X and the HLI with a straight cross, this you will see both but to different regiments