Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 US Army Visor

Article about: I just purchased this WW2 US Army Visor today and have a few questions about it. It appears original to me but I'm far from being in expert in cloth headgear (or anything for that matter ) I

Default WW2 US Army Visor

I just purchased this WW2 US Army Visor today and have a few questions about it. It appears original to me but I'm far from being in expert in cloth headgear (or anything for that matter ) I'd very much appreciate any opinions on the authenticty of the visor as I don't have much to go on besides my instincts haha. There is also a name on a card inside the visor but I haven't been able to find anything so far.

WW2 US Army VisorWW2 US Army VisorWW2 US Army VisorWW2 US Army Visor

(Apologizes for the flipped, poor quality, pictures as I have to upload from my phone)

The hat is WW2 vintage. It appears to be a Dress White Summer Tropical Visor. The calling card on the inside does not match the "scrambled eggs" or leaf shaped embellishments on the visor. These were normally reserved for senior officers from the rank of Major to Colonel. There is a possibility that this Officer was promoted to a rank that would have had the "scrambled eggs" on the hat and he never took out the calling card or changed ranks on the calling card. The rank identified on the card is 1st Lieutenant. At this rank he would have had a visor with nothing on it.

Now about the person:

I believe I found your Soldier. His name is Lawrence Norman Chamberlin, he was born in Dayton, Ohio on September 12, 1915. He joined the Army on January 2, 1941 at Carlisle Barracks in Pennsylvania. His Officer service number is O-348556. During WW2 he was stationed in Panama, guarding the Panama Canal. There were Coast Artillery units in Panama that protected the canal as well as the locks and the calling card indicates that Chamberlin was in the Coast Artillery Corps. The summer dress tropical hat would have been appropriate for the Canal Zone.

Chamberlin was discharged from the Army on August 30, 1946 at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. There is a possibility that Chamberlin rose to the rank of Major and he was able to add the scrambled eggs to his visor prior to discharge, if this is his hat, which I don't see any reason that it wouldn't be.

Further research and records will confirm through NARA since you have the serial number, name and date of birth of this Soldier..

Chamberlin passed away on August 8, 1994, and was buried in Pennsylvania where he lived after his discharge from the Army.

Here is a photograph of Lawrence Norman Chamberlin from Ancestry.

There is also a document on ancestry for an application for WW2 compensation for honorably discharged soldiers that Chamberlin applied for in 1950

I have no doubt that the hat in question belonged to this individual, but further confirmation can be validated if you are able to get his service records from NARA..

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 US Army Visor  

Wow, thank you so much for the info! When I get back home I'll definently look into the NARA! Thanks again!