Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

WW2 USAAF visor hat

Article about: Richtofen I have the same cap minus the sweat shield. I bought the cap a couple years ago from the wife of the vet. She told me he was over in Germany post war for the occupation force. Mine

?

Default Re: WW2 USAAF visor hat

Richtofen I have the same cap minus the sweat shield. I bought the cap a couple years ago from the wife of the vet. She told me he was over in Germany post war for the occupation force. Mine is stamped 1947. She also told me he was a corporal.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nco hat 001.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	327.3 KB 
ID:	377006   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nco hat 002.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	312.4 KB 
ID:	377007  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nco hat 003.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	335.4 KB 
ID:	377008   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nco hat 004.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	307.9 KB 
ID:	377009  

?

What gives this its shape is a rubber like band that goes around the inside. You can see it in the third photo I posted. Gary

?

I would leave the hat badge on since it is the right hat badge. This hat is a Non Commissioned officers cap they bought these hats with the ribbed bands, so that when they got the rank of officer they would just have to get a new hat badge not the whole hat

?

Quote by gel65 View Post
    I would leave the hat badge on since it is the right hat badge. This hat is a Non Commissioned officers cap they bought these hats with the ribbed bands, so that when they got the rank of officer they would just have to get a new hat badge not the whole hat
    Here is a great reference site, note the Bancroft EM with the mohair band, and the different Warrant Officers cap badge.

Best Regards,

Andy

U.S. Army Visor Hats
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

I looked at this visor closer and got some pics which probally explain more about it

the tan part is apparently ahat cver and its a nomal green wool hat underneath but the cover is secured by the buttons and hat badge

this is the only maker stuff under the leather hat band no date or anything just that label

?

1948 postwar manufacture but still a very clean hat overall

That does explain it. Thanks for the extra pics. Clearly there is another line of text on the label hidden by the stitching.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Did the postwar EM caps have the mohair band as standard, or was it a case of the individual soldier "dressing up" a cap for leave etc. I have seen several caps with the EM device and the mohair band, but I've never seen any photos of them being worn that way.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12