Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

WWI early post war Royal Welsh Fusiliers officers forage cap and uniform

Article about: part of a lot split by an ebay seller into 5 lots, 2 caps and 3 jackets, I managed to get one of the caps and two of the jackets. First to arrive, as it was sold as a, make an offer, which h

Default WWI early post war Royal Welsh Fusiliers officers forage cap and uniform

part of a lot split by an ebay seller into 5 lots, 2 caps and 3 jackets, I managed to get one of the caps and two of the jackets.

First to arrive, as it was sold as a, make an offer, which he countered with a higher offer which I then accepted, junior officers forage cap, nice private purchase example with all the features typical of a WWI or just after.

The bullion and silver badge has the Griffin type beast which was replaced c. 1920 by the later classic Welsh Dragon. Sadly it does not have a makers mark or naming, but the shape of the peak, thin officers type chinstrap with pointed slider ends and the laced liner as well as the stand and fall peak with metal device to make it do that are all typical of early caps, in fact most of these features are common on pre great war and wartime officers forage caps though did occasionally continue to be used into the post WWI period . It has regimental buttons by Firmin & Sons and is for a junior rank officer, which must be early from in his career, as he was a Lt Colonel by WWII or perhaps shortly after.
    The other cap in the lot was an officers service dress cap in very poor condition, maker marked to the late King George V, 1910-1936 and with the owners initials FDW. I have yet to work out who he was, but he seems not to have served in the great war as all three of his jackets, an SD jacket, Tropical Jacket and a US war aid BD dated 1943 all had the same set of medal ribbons on them and the same rank of Lt. Colonel. It seems he served inter war and then on into WWII and probably shortly after as all 3 have the full ribbons up, some of which were not issued until wars end.

His ribbons were 39-45 star medal, Africa Star, Defence Medal, 39-45 War Medal with mention in Dispatches oak leaf device, 1937 George VI Coronation Medal and the Territorial Efficiency Decoration, the latter showing he was a long time member of the Territorial forces and was serving before WWII.
    I have yet to work out who he was from his initials, but hs rank, his TA medal and his MiD should allow me to work out who he was.

I only have the forage cap so far, but should get the SD and Tropical jackets before the end of the week.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI early post war Royal Welsh Fusiliers officers forage cap and uniform   WWI early post war Royal Welsh Fusiliers officers forage cap and uniform  

WWI early post war Royal Welsh Fusiliers officers forage cap and uniform   WWI early post war Royal Welsh Fusiliers officers forage cap and uniform  

WWI early post war Royal Welsh Fusiliers officers forage cap and uniform   WWI early post war Royal Welsh Fusiliers officers forage cap and uniform  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I hate it when things get split for greed.

Glad you managed to keep some of it together and I look forwards to seeing the other items.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I hate it when things get split for greed.

Glad you managed to keep some of it together and I look forwards to seeing the other items.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks Ade. I did bid on the other cap but did not get it as it was in really poor condition and did not wna tot spend too much on it, though with hindsight perhaps I could have gone a bit higher. The bd was badly mothed but even then they usually go for more than it did, again I am sorry I did not bid, but I can only spend so much money at a time.

It is always sad to see a group that survived together for more than 70 years get split like this.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI early post war Royal Welsh Fusiliers officers forage cap and uniform   WWI early post war Royal Welsh Fusiliers officers forage cap and uniform  

Attached Images Attached Images WWI early post war Royal Welsh Fusiliers officers forage cap and uniform 
    Regards,

Jerry

the two jackets have arrived but not taken pics yet.

It is named in the SD jacket to Capt. F D Williams dated 4/3/42 and with a Chester tailors label, whilst the KD is named Douglas Williams.

I did get some pics of the cap with my other RWF officers caps.

Regards,

Jerry

The Sd & KD, the former is all complete, the latter is missing some buttons and the collar dogs and flash but I had spares of both to fit to it but have had to buy a few more buttons from ebay. The missing removable shoulder boards are going to be more pricey to replace pr so it seems from a quick search.

the KD has had the buttons moved to make it a slightly larger size, obviously he got fatter over time.

Regards,

Jerry

Lovely uniforms. Its always nice to see Welsh Fusilier tunics with their ribbon flashes.

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    Lovely uniforms. Its always nice to see Welsh Fusilier tunics with their ribbon flashes.
    Thanks Douglas, I now have 10 RWF tunics
    Regards,

Jerry

I have had some luck in researching him, with a bit of help, but I finally found him in the Gazette.

Regards,

Jerry