Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

WWII Royal Navy Senior Officer Visor cap

Article about: I picked up this cap recently on Ebay, for what I believe to be a real bargain price. Only one moth bite on the upper right crown. Cap is made of the finest doeskin wool; very soft to the to

?

Default WWII Royal Navy Senior Officer Visor cap

I picked up this cap recently on Ebay, for what I believe to be a real bargain price. Only one moth bite on the upper right crown. Cap is made of the finest doeskin wool; very soft to the touch.
    Named on the sweatband to a Surgeon Captain, RN.
    Opinions welcome. Thanks.

BobSWWII Royal Navy  Senior Officer Visor capWWII Royal Navy  Senior Officer Visor capWWII Royal Navy  Senior Officer Visor cap

Default Re: WWII Royal Navy Senior Officer Visor cap

You did well, looks like a Gieves made cap. For whatever reason WW II RN just does not interest collectors and are typically low priced.

Very nice cap Bob, and not one you see that often. I don't know much about Navy items, so can't comment on it too much with any authority, but it sure looks fine IMHO.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Yes RN items don't seem that valued by many. I wanted a senior officer cap, and saw a nice one at the last SOS in Louisville, but it was priced at $450 ! I paid a fraction of that, for a cap that is very close in quality & condition to that one.

BobS

?

Hi BobS,

Nice looking cap and everything is as it should be for such an example. I would also say Gieves from the smudged embossed logo on the crown. Does it have a label, as that will help date it better.

Oli

?

Quote by Ocad View Post
    Hi BobS,

Nice looking cap and everything is as it should be for such an example. I would also say Gieves from the smudged embossed logo on the crown. Does it have a label, as that will help date it better.

Oli
    Yes, under strong light, you can see the remains of the printing for a Gieves label. I have over 40 officer dress caps, both British & German, and the material on this one is the softest and smoothest to the touch.

?

Some better photos of this cap, taken by a friend of mine, whose photography skills eclipse my mediocre efforts!

BobSWWII Royal Navy  Senior Officer Visor capWWII Royal Navy  Senior Officer Visor capWWII Royal Navy  Senior Officer Visor cap