Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII US Hat Question

Article about: Have got an odd question for you guys....Why is it, you see more than a few of the green wool Army visored hats in the Enlisted Men's style but sporting the Officer style Eagle badges? Were

Default WWII US Hat Question

Have got an odd question for you guys....Why is it, you see more than a few of the green wool Army visored hats in the Enlisted Men's style but sporting the Officer style Eagle badges? Were enlisted men even allowed to wear the hat but just swap out the badge?
    The reason I ask, is that I was recently rooting about in one of the trunks in the basement here and came across a US Army Enlisted man's (no ribs on the band) hat that I don't even remember picking up. It's in totally unissued mint condition and even the leather sweatband is soft and pliable, but it had Two badges lying loose nearby-a nice Amcraft Acid Test Officer's eagle and an Enlisted man's 3 piece disk as well. The enlisted man's disk is unusual in the fact that it has no maker's marks and seems to have a smelted Copper appearance to the back of it, but the front of the disk and the eagle is nice shiny plated brass. Irritatingly enough, the 2 badges are lying loose and were stuffed inside a bag that was set inside the hat(which has No badge on it-but, apparently, One of the 2 belongs to it!) What do you guys think? US uniforms were never my field of collecting, so I have no clue as to why I even picked it up-probably cause it was so minty? So....which badge goes with it??
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

The Officers eagle was not authorized to be worn on enlisted caps.

So...apparently, after the war, alot of guys liked swapping the badges to make them look "cooler"? That would be typical, I suppose! I guess I'll put the coppery backed Enlisted disk on it then! Thanks!
    William

?

Hello William,
    Pic's of this would be great. I collect the 8thAF of the USAAF uniforms to honor the men of the 384th Bomb Group and have both the officer and enlisted mans service cap and I would like to see what you have. Here is the enlisted. I need to find the pic's off the officer version.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII US Hat Question   WWII US Hat Question  

Well, let me see how good of pics I can get of it and I'll post them up here. Like I said, this hat is, apparently never been issued-it has the metal peak stiffener in it and the wire coil around the inside edges to keep the shape. The lining looks like some sort of gold colored ribbed satin material and there is a large logo in the middle under a reddish brown plastic sweat shield that says "Enlisted Man MC Military Caps". On the sweatband, there is a paper tag that reads "Contents 100% Wool Mid City Uniform Cap Co. Chicago" and there is a paper tag that says "&" on it. The only thing stamped under the backside of the leather sweatband is another "&" for the size-I suppose in case the little paper tag got lost or ruined. The under side of the visor is a soft suede type of tan leather and the upper side is in the usual chocolate brown shiny leather. It's a great hat, but I still have no clue as to how or why I came by it! But, hopefully, if the weather is good tomorrow, I'll see if I can take some shots of it. Did you want to see it without the badge? Or should I put it on?
    William

?

Just how you have it William. No need to add things to it.
    Thanks

SF
    Phil

Well, dodging the raindrops, I managed to get outside for a few moments time to take pics. And, yes, I put the badge on it, as it seemed to want it. Does anyone Collect this stuff? When I was younger, US WWII stuff was considered uncollectable. People used it to go camping with and let the kids play with it-there was so much of it. If anybody wants this thing, let me know.

WWII US Hat QuestionWWII US Hat QuestionWWII US Hat QuestionWWII US Hat QuestionWWII US Hat QuestionWWII US Hat Question
    William

?

That is a very nice one. Like mentioned I have been collecting the US WW2 items since I found out about my Uncles service with the 384th Bomb Group. So far I have put together the whole uniform from head to toe of a TSgt from the 8th AF and also a Captains from the 8thAF. If your giving it away I will give it a Great home and display it proudly

Semper Fi
    Phil

Very Nice cap, William. You don't see them in this
    condition that often. Most were worn. Phil has
    first dibs on it.........
    Regards,

Steve.

I am always open for offers... lol
    William

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast