Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWII Welch Regiment Officers Service Dress Cap

Article about: One of two Welch regiment officers caps that the postie delivered to me today, this one from the UK and the other from France which will have its own thread. Both are relatively unusual in t

Default WWII Welch Regiment Officers Service Dress Cap

One of two Welch regiment officers caps that the postie delivered to me today, this one from the UK and the other from France which will have its own thread. Both are relatively unusual in that their original owners are known.

This one was stated by the seller to have belonged to Captain R. A. A. Evans whose captaincy was gazetted August 30th 1940, though I could not find it. The seller also had his OSD cap from when Evans was transferred to the Royal Artillery which I did not get.

This cap has a bronzed OSD cap badge on blades with the C spelling of Welch which is correct for WWII and also has the bronzed regimental OSD buttons of POW feathers with motto. It can be seen in the hand that this cap had another badge on it at some stage and perhaps the officer when he transferred to the RA added that badge to this cap until he got himself the other RA cap and then maybe replaced the Welch badge back onto it. This is a supposition on my part and perhaps the seller was mistaken about this cap and it has been pimped, though the regimental OSD buttons are hard to find and appear to have always been on it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Welch Regiment Officers Service Dress Cap   WWII Welch Regiment Officers Service Dress Cap  

WWII Welch Regiment Officers Service Dress Cap   WWII Welch Regiment Officers Service Dress Cap  

WWII Welch Regiment Officers Service Dress Cap   WWII Welch Regiment Officers Service Dress Cap  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Very nice OSD cap and thanks for posting it Jerry I hope you can find out more about the original Owner.

Matt

Quote by Steelhead10 View Post
    Very nice OSD cap and thanks for posting it Jerry I hope you can find out more about the original Owner.

Matt
    Thanks Matt.

I contacted the seller and he was able to supply his service number as it had been written in the other cap.

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 30 AUGUST, 1940
    TERRITORIAL ARMY.

ROYAL ARTILLERY. The undermentioned Offrs. are transf'd. from the following Infantry units, retaining their rank and seniority 1st Aug. 1940:—
    Welch R. Capts.:— R. A. A. Evans (62083).

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 27 JUNE, 1947
    The undermentioned Capts. to be Lt.-Cols., 1st May 1947: —….(War Subs. Maj.) R. A. A. EVANS (62083)…..

The London Gazette of TUESDAY, the 25th of MAY, 1948
    War Office, 28th May, 1948. The KING has been graciously' pleased to confer " The Efficiency Decoration " upon the following officers of the Territorial Army: —
    ROYAL ARTILLERY. ……..Lt.-Col. R. A. A. EVANS (62083). ……….

SUPPLEMENT. TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 28 NOVEMBER, 1950
    TERRITORIAL ARMY RESERVE OF OFFICERS. ROYAL REGIMENT OF ARTILLERY. The undermentioned Lt.-Cols. from Active List, to be Lt.-Cols.:—- R. A. A. EVANS, T.D. (62083), 20th June 1950, retaining his present seniority.

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 13 APRIL, 1951
    War Office, 3rd April, 1951. The KING has been graciously pleased to confer the award of the "1st Clasp" to the Territorial Efficiency Decoration upon the following officers: —). R.A. Lt.-Col. R. A. A. EVANS, T.D. (62083). ……..
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.