Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Heer 2nd Pattern Pith Helmet

Article about: Gent, Happy to report that I have just acquired my 1st German Pith Helmet. I've always wanted but never made the consciencous decison to go for it. (I must give out a big thank you to my goo

Default Re: Heer 2nd Pattern Pith Helmet

Yes, they are. However, they are not very good. They typically come with a horrible set of desert goggles. Both are clearly reproductions, however, they are sold as such...at least from proprietors..unscrupulous sellers??- who knows. That said, nobody should get burned by them though. Easy to pick out of a crowd.

I will say though, I have yet to see a repro 2nd pattern. Hmmm, maybe that's an untapped market to break into

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer 2nd Pattern Pith Helmet
    P
    Many

Quote by Swordfish View Post
    Yes, they are. However, they are not very good. They typically come with a horrible set of desert goggles. Both are clearly reproductions, however, they are sold as such...at least from proprietors..unscrupulous sellers??- who knows. That said, nobody should get burned by them though. Easy to pick out of a crowd.

I will say though, I have yet to see a repro 2nd pattern. Hmmm, maybe that's an untapped market to break into
    I have seen a 1941 dated 2nd pattern, but I'm sorry I did not save the images. On p365 of Ken N's Germany's combat helmets it says that 'original examples are seen dated as early as 1941'.

Also its the 2nd pattern that I see as a repro on ebay.

Jerry

I don't doubt it. I would not be surprised to see a 2nd pattern with that date. I'm only saying I have yet to see a 2nd pattern date '41.

As far as repro's on fleaBay...'nuff said. I've seen a number of 1st pattern fakos on various websites, etc. They are not cheap for a reproduction piece. Usually around $100 USD- but hey, it includes the repro desert goggles so that makes it all worth it

Tom

Hi,
    Here is a 1941 dated 2nd pattern.

Jerry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heer 2nd Pattern Pith Helmet   Heer 2nd Pattern Pith Helmet  

Heer 2nd Pattern Pith Helmet   Heer 2nd Pattern Pith Helmet  

Hereby 2 pictures of my 2nd pattern German pith helmet. It is 1942 dated and the helmet is in a very good condition.
    I also know that it is been said that the 2nd pattern pith helmet should not be used by the German Africa Corps. It should only be used on a small scale by the Germans in Italy, Greece, southern France and Russia.
    I know a picture of two German machine gunners in Italy who are wearing pith helmets (see picture). It looks like that the left machine gunner is wearing a 2nd pattern pith helmet. The picture should be taken in the beginning of 1944 near Castel di Sangro, Italy.
    What about the other picture of Erwin Rommel himself? The picture must be taken somewhere in the North African desert. Left of Rommel in the background there is a German soldier/officer (red arrow) who is wearing a dark coloured pith helmet . Could this be a 2nd pattern helmet? The soldier right behind Rommel on the left is wearing a lighter coloured pith helmet. This could be a 1st pattern helmet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heer 2nd Pattern Pith Helmet   Heer 2nd Pattern Pith Helmet  

Heer 2nd Pattern Pith Helmet   Heer 2nd Pattern Pith Helmet  

Heer 2nd Pattern Pith Helmet  

Great pic and well spotted, but its hard to say as you cant see it clearly, but I think it is probably a green canvas 1st pattern pith, though hard to be sure either way-also it looks to have a brown edge trim which if that is correct, 1st pattern is more likely, as 2nds mostly (or always) have green trim.
    You are right about the Italy pic, I have posted it for the same reason on another forum.
    Jerry

Here is my green 1st pattern Heer pith
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heer 2nd Pattern Pith Helmet  

Quote by vonbond View Post
    I have posted it for the same reason on another forum.
    Jerry
    And what do they write about the pictures on the other forum?

Quote by Asjemenou View Post
    And what do they write about the pictures on the other forum?
    Hi, the Italy pic is mostly accepted as showing a 2nd pattern, though not all agree. No one has ever seen a 2nd pattern in a pic from Afrika.

Jerry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3