Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Waffen SS Officer's schirmutze

Article about: What do you guys think of this unusual SS officer's visor? Does anyone recognize this maker? or the skull type?

Fenix82
    ?

Default re: Waffen SS Officer's schirmutze

this skull is slightly different from the Austria-fake, i don't think you want to take it off to see the back?

2. # ADS

If this cap is a fake, it tells me the Latvian fakers are improving in their craft. I agree that the totenkopf does not appear to be the known fake.
    This cap I would want to examine in hand. However, from the images, it appears to be a very fine original example. However, pictures do not tell all.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

You think possible original tk Bob?

Quote by Dan P View Post
    You think possible original tk Bob?
    Dan-
    I do not purport to be the ultimate answer on metal S S cap insignia. However, the totenkopf badge does appear to have slight variants to the fake skull that eminated from Austria. I own an untouched S S tunic that retains a sleeve eagle that closely resembles a fkae eagle that came from Austria. It also has slight differences. The point being that all fakers originally start with an original example and copy from it. So many collectors want clear and concise answers based upon pictures posted on line. Unfortunately, judgement by photo is an inconclusive science. The angle of shot and/or lighting can be all that is necessary to make a good piece look bad or vice versa. There is no substitute for hands on. Wow, this reply got a lot longer than I thought it would.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Thanks Bob. I've compared the subject skull with the fake 380 marked skull below and they look very similar. I think the skull on the cap I posted may be the same fake but with the right side eye hole and nose hole enlarged to make it appear a little different. All the other details look the same to me...taking into account of course the different lighting, angle, wear pattern, distance, etc. The overwhelming consensus on WA is that the skull is not good. I'm thinking it's just an attempt at a Deschler skull.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Waffen SS Officer's schirmutze  
    Last edited by Dan P; 09-19-2008 at 06:04 AM.

Fenix82
    ?

I also think that this could be a good skull that is not yet on the list.
    And It's a shame that most of collectors don't want to see "unknown yet"
    original skulls emerge. Everyone is still holding on those on the list.
    but something like that must be examined in hand

Quote by Anders S View Post
    Unfortunately the skull is a known fake..., however, the eagle is a nice Hicke-eagle.
    Agreed. 100%

Historiker
    ?

Its interesting that opinion appears divided here. Unfortunately, there is a tendency to dismiss things that don't fit the textbook example or known examples that are considered originals. IMHO, there is still much to be learned and many variants to be discovered, even 60+ years after the fact. Case in point is a recent posting on the WA of a misprint police decal. First time I've ever seen anything like that, but it opens the door for other types of decal variants that may have been dismissed as "bad graphics" fakes. I plan to post a note on that thread, just haven't gotten to it yet.

BTW, I don't collect caps or SS and don't know a thing about them, just making a general observation that seems appropriate for this discussion.

Bill B.

That cap is a nice private purchase, and I have seen 2 or 3 Police caps with a very similar interior ( PK Swetband + green visor )
    but if you can find a period document with a real Pekuro ss cap, you win my friendship...

if i own a visor with a controvesial skull, i will take it off and do a thorough research on it. be it good or bad, i want an answer. there had been divided thinkings on this (rare unconventional) tk, i vote for a no. If Chris is able affirm to this, i guess nothing more to be said or added.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast